xp pro very slow to shutdown..

xp pro very slow to shutdown, it eventually will shutdown but it takes a good
5-10 minutes to do so. There are no programs running with 100% cpu, ran a
virus check and a spyware check as well. The computer is only a few months
old.

I would also suggest running a disk cleanup and checkdisk:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance
http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Afterward, install the following:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

What's User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean)?
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=42257

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP