Sign in with
Your question

Access Denied Setting Permission in CMD

Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2010 4:01:34 PM

I just notice that command prompt was set for trusted installer to have full control, but under system, administrator, and user it's limited to read and execute and read. I've tried several times and as many ways as I know how and it just keeps saying access denied.

This is in Windows 7 Ultimate.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2010 8:42:19 AM

teikyo30 said:
I just notice that command prompt was set for trusted installer to have full control, but under system, administrator, and user it's limited to read and execute and read. I've tried several times and as many ways as I know how and it just keeps saying access denied.

This is in Windows 7 Ultimate.

I can't test this in W7 at the moment but I think you need to run the Command as Administrator. For that you'll have to search for cmd.exe or find it in the windows\system32 folder. Right click and select run As Administrator.

At the prompt, type net user administrator followed by your user account name and press Enter. Then type net user administrator active:yes and if it accepts that, type exit to close the form. In future, you should then be able to run the Command Prompt either by pressing the Windows key and R together to find the Open box or go straight to the form by typing in cmd /k followed by the required command so your syntax might be cmd /k ipconfig /all including all the spaces and that brings up eth form with the IP configuration detail showing.

m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 2, 2010 9:34:05 AM

If you have UAC running then you don't have administrative rights by default even when you sign on using an administrative account. A program has to be flagged as requiring admin rights or it has to request them when it runs, both of which trigger the UAC prompt.

The command shell does neither of those, so if you don't specifically run it with the "Run as Administrator..." option then it don't have administrative rights. The same thing applies to the PowerShell prompt.
m
l
!