Windows XP Hangs in DOS-Setup

I have a Packard Bell PC with an MS-6506 Motherboard. Every time I try
and install Windows XP, it hangs in the DOS portion of the setup on
'Setup is ...'. I've surfed loads of forums and tried all their
suggestions (e.g. Trying different RAM, disabling USB ports, removing
non-essential expansion cards, different Hard Drive etc. etc. etc.).

I think it may be a problem with the version of BIOS I'm using but
can't find any updated BIOS drivers for the motherboard I'm using.

It's driving me NUTS, so any suggestions from anyone anywhere (which
don't include the words 'throw', 'machine' and 'window') would be
gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike.

According to the info I've been able to glean from the web, the board has
standard chipsets, and it is a modern Pentium 4, so the problem you are seeing
is likely due to a hardware malfunction or mis-configuration.

Since the board was made for PB by MicroStar, notorious for manufacturing boards
with cheap capacitors, examine the tiny cannisters mounted on the motherboard
for either buldging or leakage. If any of the capacitors have leaked, consider
the motherboard to be history. Likewise, if any capacitor is distended from its
normal cylindrical shape.

Also, check the cables and the jumper settings for the drives. Finally, reset
the motherboard CMOS, either via jumper on the board or by removing the C2032
battery for a period of time, say an hour... Ben Myers

On 5 Sep 2005 06:00:18 -0700, "MikeCutts" <mike.cutts@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a Packard Bell PC with an MS-6506 Motherboard. Every time I try
>and install Windows XP, it hangs in the DOS portion of the setup on
>'Setup is ...'. I've surfed loads of forums and tried all their
>suggestions (e.g. Trying different RAM, disabling USB ports, removing
>non-essential expansion cards, different Hard Drive etc. etc. etc.).
>
>I think it may be a problem with the version of BIOS I'm using but
>can't find any updated BIOS drivers for the motherboard I'm using.
>
>It's driving me NUTS, so any suggestions from anyone anywhere (which
>don't include the words 'throw', 'machine' and 'window') would be
>gratefully received.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike.

I am not familar with your machine
as far as the software that was supplied.
Did you ever consider the problem could be the software
I do not know if you have a restore Cd supplied by Packard bell or a retail
version of Windows XP

I would try a known working version of this OS and try to install .

All variables must be considered and they must be examined

> According to the info I've been able to glean from the web, the board has
> standard chipsets, and it is a modern Pentium 4, so the problem you are
> seeing
> is likely due to a hardware malfunction or mis-configuration.
>
> Since the board was made for PB by MicroStar, notorious for manufacturing
> boards
> with cheap capacitors, examine the tiny cannisters mounted on the
> motherboard
> for either buldging or leakage. If any of the capacitors have leaked,
> consider
> the motherboard to be history. Likewise, if any capacitor is distended
> from its
> normal cylindrical shape.
>
> Also, check the cables and the jumper settings for the drives. Finally,
> reset
> the motherboard CMOS, either via jumper on the board or by removing the
> C2032
> battery for a period of time, say an hour... Ben Myers
>
> On 5 Sep 2005 06:00:18 -0700, "MikeCutts" <mike.cutts@lycos.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have a Packard Bell PC with an MS-6506 Motherboard. Every time I try
>>and install Windows XP, it hangs in the DOS portion of the setup on
>>'Setup is ...'. I've surfed loads of forums and tried all their
>>suggestions (e.g. Trying different RAM, disabling USB ports, removing
>>non-essential expansion cards, different Hard Drive etc. etc. etc.).
>>
>>I think it may be a problem with the version of BIOS I'm using but
>>can't find any updated BIOS drivers for the motherboard I'm using.
>>
>>It's driving me NUTS, so any suggestions from anyone anywhere (which
>>don't include the words 'throw', 'machine' and 'window') would be
>>gratefully received.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike.

Thanks for the responses. I removed the CMOS battery and re-inserted it
the day after, and this worked fine.

For info, I was installing from a copy of XP I know is Ok. The copy I
have succesfully installed from now is the same copy which was failing
before the CMOS battery was removed.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

My Packard Bell IMEDIA 2217 UK had Windows Vista preinstalled. So I attempted to install XP, and got a blue screen telling me that windows had to shut down to pretect my computer. I'v not tryed to remove to CMOS battery yet but I am considering it. What 's the worst that could happen? Have to replace the mother board?