Windows Explorer Freezes

I am having my windows explorer freeze whenever I try to use the "File" drop
down selection in 'Windows Explorer'. If we try to open a file by
left-clicking on it within the folder selection box - the same freeze occurs
and the 'Command Prompt' screen advises an error has occured saying "An
extended memory manager is already installed. XMS Manager is not installed".
Then it states there was a bad command or file name and the parameter format
is not correct. The parameter is "C:/docume~1/chuck/mydocu~1/chuck'~1".

I notice when I right-click the "File" selection in the toolbar or the
file/folder I wish to open, the top selection on the drop down list is
"Command Prompt Here" and is in bold letters. As I have never noticed this
before I am wondering if this is my problem? If it is how can I get rid of
it or not make it the default selection when left clicking the selection?

For the 2nd part:

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Chuck B" <Chuck B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having my windows explorer freeze whenever I try to use the "File"
>drop
> down selection in 'Windows Explorer'. If we try to open a file by
> left-clicking on it within the folder selection box - the same freeze
> occurs
> and the 'Command Prompt' screen advises an error has occured saying "An
> extended memory manager is already installed. XMS Manager is not
> installed".
> Then it states there was a bad command or file name and the parameter
> format
> is not correct. The parameter is "C:/docume~1/chuck/mydocu~1/chuck'~1".
>
> I notice when I right-click the "File" selection in the toolbar or the
> file/folder I wish to open, the top selection on the drop down list is
> "Command Prompt Here" and is in bold letters. As I have never noticed
> this
> before I am wondering if this is my problem? If it is how can I get rid
> of
> it or not make it the default selection when left clicking the selection?

Dear MVP !!

You have lived up to your name!! The auto "Run" solution worked like a
charm!! Thank you and well done!

Chuck B

You're welcome Chuck.