Memory Install Question

ugaman72

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Hi guys...I have a question that I hope you can help with. I have a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D Mobo and I have a Dual Pack of Mushkin 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200. (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299&depa=0)

The problem I have is deciding which DIMM's to put them in for best performance. It seems to list any and every possible combination. Does anyone have this Mobo and could provide a little help? Thanks in advance!!

Your manual will tell you the slots that are matched to enable dual channel. Have you downloaded the most recent manual from the website? The DFI manuals from the websites are typically a little better...

ugaman72

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Yes, I have the manual, and that is what is confusing me. For Dual Channel DDR400 it says to use DIMM1 and DIMM3. But then, at the bottom is a note that says...A DIMM's SPD is originally fixed as 1T. When modules are inserted in DIMM1 and DIMM3, the SPD must be 2T for better system stability. We recommend inserting DIMMs in DIMM2 and DIMM4.

So, my choices are 1-3 or 2-4??

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
It doesnt matter if you use slots 1-3 or 2-4 as both will provide dual channel mode. If it recommends using 2-4 then go for those two(I might be wrong but I think they recommend these slots because RAM's SPD ratings are normally read from slot 1, so if you dont use slot 1 the motherboard can use its own SPD values for increased stability).

If you want to make sure dual channel is working download CPUID and it will tell you on there.

Use 2-4 like Jammy said...

TRENDING THREADS