Scan disk not working

I went to the article about this problem and it said to delete a registy key.
I did, now scan disk won't start at all. I have never used this msg board
thing, if you can help, could you please email me at steemerone@aol.com? I
may never find the place I posted this. Thanks in advance!!
2 answers Last reply
More about scan disk working

    Since you are posting to an XP forum, I assume that you are using that
    operating system.

    Under XP, the program is called "CHKDSK".

    Try opening a command prompt, then typing CHKDSK C: /F. Hit return, and
    answer "Y" when it asks about doing this doing a reboot. Reboot, and watch
    CHKDSK run.

    Plan B: Run CHKDSK from the XP recovery console, available on the XP CDROM
    or as a free download from Microsoft called XP setup diskettes. Here are
    some links about the recovery console:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

    "newbie2million" <newbie2million@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I went to the article about this problem and it said to delete a registy
    >key.
    > I did, now scan disk won't start at all. I have never used this msg board
    > thing, if you can help, could you please email me at steemerone@aol.com?
    > may never find the place I posted this. Thanks in advance!!

    Just one footnote about running Chkdsk with the /Fix qualifier. It
    (Chkdsk) running in that mode may make some significant changes
    to the disk. If your personal/critical data backups aren't current,
    you might want to do that before allowing Chkdsk to run. It's not
    an equitable trade to get a "Clean Volume" and loose data in the
    process.

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Since you are posting to an XP forum, I assume that you are using that
    > operating system.
    >
    > Under XP, the program is called "CHKDSK".
    >
    > Try opening a command prompt, then typing CHKDSK C: /F. Hit return, and
    > answer "Y" when it asks about doing this doing a reboot. Reboot, and
    > watch CHKDSK run.
    >
    > Plan B: Run CHKDSK from the XP recovery console, available on the XP
    > CDROM or as a free download from Microsoft called XP setup diskettes.
    > Here are some links about the recovery console:
    >
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm
    >

    > http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm
    >

    > http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)
    >

    > "newbie2million" <newbie2million@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:617CB6D2-3283-46A6-BE0C-02B621FF4AE6@microsoft.com...
    >>I went to the article about this problem and it said to delete a registy
    >>key.
    >> I did, now scan disk won't start at all. I have never used this msg board
    >> thing, if you can help, could you please email me at steemerone@aol.com?
    >> may never find the place I posted this. Thanks in advance!!

Microsoft Windows XP