Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 solutions for XP, quick question, yes or no

Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2010 4:26:44 PM

I have a full install OEM disk for Windows 7 64-bit that I bought for my computer. I want to install Windows 7 64-bit on my wife's computer that is currently runnung Windows XP 32-bit. Can I buy the Windows 7 64-bit Upgrade from the Microsoft website and use the license that I get from that with the full installation disc that I bought for my computer?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 21, 2010 5:29:55 PM

If you have not yet installed that OEM copy on your computer, then yes you would be able to install it on your wife's machine.

Keep in mind that whichever system you install it on, it will then be tied to that machine until either Windows is upgraded to a newer version, or the machine is replaced.
m
l
March 21, 2010 5:35:24 PM

So what you're saying is that the Key and the Installation disk are both tied to the same computer, you can't use one disk as an installation disk for multiple computers even if you have multiple keys?
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 21, 2010 8:57:26 PM

Sorry... forgot to explain that fully.

The keys are tied to specific computers if they are OEM copies. The install media itself is not.
m
l
March 21, 2010 9:28:10 PM

no the upgrade key works for an upgrade disc only

BUT, the upgrade disc will do a clean install regardless seeing as you are switching from 32 to 64 bit.
m
l
March 21, 2010 9:51:12 PM

Quote:
BUT, the upgrade disc will do a clean install regardless seeing as you are switching from 32 to 64 bit.

Bingo! You can't upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS , because Microsoft's instillation will force a clean install (even with an upgrade disk).
Plus, I'm not 100% sure on this, but doesn't Win7 force a clean install on WinXP systems anyway?
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
March 21, 2010 9:59:32 PM

iggybeans said:
Quote:

Bingo! You can't upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS , because Microsoft's instillation will force a clean install (even with an upgrade disk).
Plus, I'm not 100% sure on this, but doesn't Win7 force a clean install on WinXP systems anyway?

A migration install is basically the same as a clean install, but the migration will retain certain folders after the Windows 7 install is complete, placing them in the Windows.old folder.
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:00:24 PM

iggybeans said:
I'm not 100% sure on this, but doesn't Win7 force a clean install on WinXP systems anyway?

Yes but like everything else in the computer world there are work a rounds.
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:00:31 PM

So, if 505090s information is correct my best option in terms of price would be to get the upgrade disk and follow these instructions http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/upgrade_02.asp or just buy another full install copy from Newegg or comparable retail seller.
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:02:45 PM

Last I looked an OEM copy cost less than the upgrade, and if you go that route you still have the option of using your win XP on something else.
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:05:36 PM

505090 said:
Last I looked an OEM copy cost less than the upgrade, and if you go that route you still have the option of using your win XP on something else.

Good point, I just don't know of any local companies that carry the OEM version and I really don't want to wait 3 days to get one I ordered online, is there any way to purchase just a license for a full version online and then use my current install disk?
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:07:35 PM

bigmidgeman said:
Good point, I just don't know of any local companies that carry the OEM version and I really don't want to wait 3 days to get one I ordered online, is there any way to purchase just a license for a full version online and then use my current install disk?

not that I'm aware of, just get it form newegg and try to distract yourself till it shows up
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:10:29 PM

505090 said:
not that I'm aware of, just get it form newegg and try to distract yourself till it shows up

I can distract myself just fine, it's my wife I'll have to deal with for three days nagging me about it, thanks for the info.
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:21:19 AM

i hear diamonds work well, personally i find flowers and a back rub to be easier on my wallet
m
l
!