Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ancients rules

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:47:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi all

Am looking to rekindle my interest in Ancients and am looking at purchasing
a new ruleset so am looking for views/reviews of following :

Ancient Warfare (by T.Gore)
Classical Hack
Warrior (I believe these are WRG 7th based ?)

Note I have armies in 15mm based to WRG 'standards' and in past have used
WRG 7th, DBM and my favourite Might Of Arms, I also own PK Archon II but
have not got around to using this set yet.

Any other alternative rulesets out there ? I know Warmaster Ancients is due
soon

Cheers

More about : ancients rules

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:38:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

You could try Vis Bellica.
www.visbellica.com
Peter

Gary Barr wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Am looking to rekindle my interest in Ancients and am looking at purchasing
> a new ruleset so am looking for views/reviews of following :
>
> Ancient Warfare (by T.Gore)
> Classical Hack
> Warrior (I believe these are WRG 7th based ?)
>
> Note I have armies in 15mm based to WRG 'standards' and in past have used
> WRG 7th, DBM and my favourite Might Of Arms, I also own PK Archon II but
> have not got around to using this set yet.
>
> Any other alternative rulesets out there ? I know Warmaster Ancients is due
> soon
>
> Cheers

--
It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:46:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi Peter

> You could try Vis Bellica.
> www.visbellica.com
Thanks interesting set not sure about the BIG basing though do you know what
this means ie sizes ?

> It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
Well I will be fine then as I mostly play solo nowdays :-)

Gary
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:31:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

"Warmaster Ancients" is being released in June. You might want to wait
and see if they are what you're looking for.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:32:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

"Warmaster Ancients" is being released in June. You might want to wait
and see if they are what you're looking for.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:05:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

VB big basing is not a problem

while the rule set is written for 60 by 30 bases it works fine with 80
by 40(ish) ones so using 4 DBX foot or 2 DBX cavalry base per unit works
fine. the rules are good fun and work well for replaying scenarios and
assuming you don't argue with yourself to much (the VB rules are not a
competition set and don't take kindly to rules lawyers) should be a good
choice.

If you want to try them out then we are often playing them on a Thursday
night at the HDWS club in Huntingdon

Chris Lowe

Gary Barr wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
>
>>You could try Vis Bellica.
>>www.visbellica.com
>
> Thanks interesting set not sure about the BIG basing though do you know what
> this means ie sizes ?
>
>
>>It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
>
> Well I will be fine then as I mostly play solo nowdays :-)
>
> Gary
>
>
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:07:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

"Gary Barr" <sgt.steiner@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:xpIhe.7533$yY4.3061@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

Hi Gary,

> Am looking to rekindle my interest in Ancients and am looking at
> purchasing a new ruleset so am looking for views/reviews of following :
>
> Ancient Warfare (by T.Gore)
> Classical Hack
> Warrior (I believe these are WRG 7th based ?)

I'm afraid I haven't played any of these, however...

> Note I have armies in 15mm based to WRG 'standards' and in past have used
> WRG 7th, DBM and my favourite Might Of Arms, I also own PK Archon II but
> have not got around to using this set yet.

I generally use 'Strategos' published by the Society of Ancients - uses a
grid based system so base sizes are irrelevant it it works well for both
solo & multi-player games. My stuff is all DBx based (20mm plastic on 25mm
DBA bases), I just use multiple bases were appropriate for the different
unit types. There is a yahoogroup for Strategos as well as reviews on the
SOA website http://www.soa.org.uk/ (articles section)

There are reviews of the other rules you mention above here as well.

> Any other alternative rulesets out there ? I know Warmaster Ancients is
> due soon

I rather like De Bellis Matricae (another SOA game), but that only works
multi-player - rather unusual in that the players essentially make the
rules/game narrative up as they go along by constructing 'arguments'. ie it
is a structured committee game with toy soldiers.

Martin
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:59:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Chis answered your basing question already, I could add that if you want to try
sabot bases to convert you figures work equally well.
I play Vis Bellica on 6*3 cm bases and Vis Magica at 8*4 cm bases (15mm figures
obviously).
Peter

Gary Barr wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> > You could try Vis Bellica.
> > www.visbellica.com
> Thanks interesting set not sure about the BIG basing though do you know what
> this means ie sizes ?
>
> > It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
> Well I will be fine then as I mostly play solo nowdays :-)
>
> Gary

--
It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:09:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi Chris

> VB big basing is not a problem
After posting I read through the VB site & saw some discussions of this
'issue' and the 8cm wide (ie 2 DBM bases) seems ok.
I took the plunge and ordered these (and pre-order for Warmaster Anc) rules.

>f you want to try them out then we are often playing them on a Thursday
>ight at the HDWS club in Huntingdon
Thanks for the kind offer but being in N.Ireland makes this a tad awkward
:-)

Cheers
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:12:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi Martin

> I generally use 'Strategos' published by the Society of Ancients
I think I have an early version of this from my long lapsed subscription to
Slingshot ?

> There are reviews of the other rules you mention above here as well.
Roger that will check them out

> I rather like De Bellis Matricae (another SOA game), but that only works
> multi-player - rather unusual in that the players essentially make the
> rules/game narrative up as they go along by constructing 'arguments'. ie
> it is a structured committee game with toy soldiers.
If I end up playing this set on my own they will likely cart me of to the
funny farm rather smartly ! :-)

Cheers
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:13:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi ccooper@eagle.org

> "Warmaster Ancients" is being released in June. You might want to wait
> and see if they are what you're looking for.
I have pre-ordered this set (as I like the Warmaster system) but that wont
stop me trying other sets :-)

Cheers
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:19:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

do join the vb yahoo group as there are both eratta and some good rules
suggestions there as well as alot of scenarios and other stuff. Also
there are a good bunch of regular posters who wil try to answer any
questions you have.

Chris

Gary Barr wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
>
>>VB big basing is not a problem
>
> After posting I read through the VB site & saw some discussions of this
> 'issue' and the 8cm wide (ie 2 DBM bases) seems ok.
> I took the plunge and ordered these (and pre-order for Warmaster Anc) rules.
>
>
>>f you want to try them out then we are often playing them on a Thursday
>>ight at the HDWS club in Huntingdon
>
> Thanks for the kind offer but being in N.Ireland makes this a tad awkward
> :-)
>
> Cheers
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:19:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi Chris

> do join the vb yahoo group as there are both eratta and some good rules
> suggestions there as well as alot of scenarios and other stuff. Also
> there are a good bunch of regular posters who wil try to answer any
> questions you have.
Rules arrived today (Caliver Books top class service as always) and I have
joined the Yahoo group (jings not another one !!) now if only I did not have
a late shift today I would get some figs on table and have a go :-)

Cheers
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:02:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

You have Might of Arms - all you really need is a couple of new armies for
variety.

I've played Classic Hack and it has lots of modifiers and is more procedure
bound than MOA. It also has the "Super Man Syndrome" (Romans) that the
French get in Napoleonics.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:52:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi Mike

> You have Might of Arms
Yes and I really do like this excellent ruleset

> - all you really need is a couple of new armies for
> variety.
Ah but therein lies the rub pour moi as sadly I have delevoped a rather
nasty skin allergy to glues and paints which makes painting new armies a tad
painful and not just to my pocket or time :-(

> I've played Classic Hack and it has lots of modifiers and is more
> procedure
> bound than MOA.
I looked at this and T.Gores Ancient/Mediveal Warfare sets and thought that
they looked at bit 'old school' re factors and suchlike so I bought Vis
Bellica which upon first glance seem a nice set with similar complexity to
MOA, only downside is use of leaders figs for C&C purposes which brings me
back to the painting problem.......................

I will most assuredly still use MOA but since variety is definately the
spice of life (as my ever growing collection of WWII rules attests !) I will
try VB and I think PKArchon II (did not like first incarnation) with smidgin
of Armati as alternatives :-)
I am no longer a big fan of DBM as I cant keep up with the ever changing
versions (the basic rule system is fine) of rules and army lists and not
having the competition mindset anymore (I did play in couple of WRG 7th &
DBMs comps at Derby UK many moons ago) they leave me tad disaffected
nowdays. Mind you if one wants a game against anyone here in NI (or anywhere
?) they are the set of choice as just about everyone has them and they
require minimal preparation for a game.

Cheers
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:28:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Too bad you don't live around here (Maryland). Locally we have 20 some
different armies for MOA so can play anything 1500BC to 1500AD - and perhaps
a bit latter for Samurai.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 2:58:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi Mike

> Too bad you don't live around here (Maryland).
Just a bit too far to travel across the pond :-)
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:58:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Mike is right Gary we do MoA, Ancient Warfare, and Classical Hack all
in the same club! Baltimore Washington International airport is 15
minutes from the store we game in every Sunday. Classicial Hack and
Ancient Warfare (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GoreAMwar/) and
(http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Classical-Hack/) both have very
active Yahoo groups. Both also have websites at
http://www.classicalhack.com/ and http://www.saga-publishing.com/ I
play both and did a Magnesia Triple play game at Historicon two years
ago with Classical Hack, and MoA using the same board and figures. I
do Classical Hack at conventions right now and here is a link to my
game at Cold Wars. http://www.classicalhack.com/cw4james/jamescw4.html
You will find that many do tournaments with AW here in the States.
Classical Hack does have rules for army point lists but must of those
who do CH run scenarios at conventions. Classical Hack and AW both have
a series of rules that are the base for several periods so you can
branch out with the same basic set. I like the mechanism in both AW and
Classical Hack and would recommend both.
VR
James Mattes
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:58:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Mike is right Gary we do MoA, Ancient Warfare, and Classical Hack all
in the same club! Baltimore Washington International airport is 15
minutes from the store we game in every Sunday. Classicial Hack and
Ancient Warfare (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GoreAMwar/) and
(http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Classical-Hack/) both have very
active Yahoo groups. Both also have websites at
http://www.classicalhack.com/ and http://www.saga-publishing.com/ I
play both and did a Magnesia Triple play game at Historicon two years
ago with Classical Hack, and MoA using the same board and figures. I
do Classical Hack at conventions right now and here is a link to my
game at Cold Wars. http://www.classicalhack.com/cw4james/jamescw4.html
You will find that many do tournaments with AW here in the States.
Classical Hack does have rules for army point lists but must of those
who do CH run scenarios at conventions. Classical Hack and AW both have
a series of rules that are the base for several periods so you can
branch out with the same basic set. I like the mechanism in both AW and
Classical Hack and would recommend both.
VR
James Mattes
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:06:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

Hi James

> I like the mechanism in both AW and
> Classical Hack and would recommend both.
Thanks for info I will likely buy AW as most of my 'Ancients' armies are
'Dark Age +'

Cheers
!