Ancients rules

Hi all

Am looking to rekindle my interest in Ancients and am looking at purchasing
a new ruleset so am looking for views/reviews of following :

Ancient Warfare (by T.Gore)
Classical Hack
Warrior (I believe these are WRG 7th based ?)

Note I have armies in 15mm based to WRG 'standards' and in past have used
WRG 7th, DBM and my favourite Might Of Arms, I also own PK Archon II but
have not got around to using this set yet.

Any other alternative rulesets out there ? I know Warmaster Ancients is due
soon

Cheers
19 answers Last reply
More about ancients rules
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    You could try Vis Bellica.
    www.visbellica.com
    Peter

    --
    It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi Peter

    > You could try Vis Bellica.
    > www.visbellica.com
    Thanks interesting set not sure about the BIG basing though do you know what
    this means ie sizes ?

    > It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
    Well I will be fine then as I mostly play solo nowdays :-)

    Gary
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Warmaster Ancients" is being released in June. You might want to wait
    and see if they are what you're looking for.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Warmaster Ancients" is being released in June. You might want to wait
    and see if they are what you're looking for.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    VB big basing is not a problem

    while the rule set is written for 60 by 30 bases it works fine with 80
    by 40(ish) ones so using 4 DBX foot or 2 DBX cavalry base per unit works
    fine. the rules are good fun and work well for replaying scenarios and
    assuming you don't argue with yourself to much (the VB rules are not a
    competition set and don't take kindly to rules lawyers) should be a good
    choice.

    If you want to try them out then we are often playing them on a Thursday
    night at the HDWS club in Huntingdon

    Chris Lowe

    Gary Barr wrote:
    > Hi Peter
    >

    >>You could try Vis Bellica.
    >>www.visbellica.com
    >
    > Thanks interesting set not sure about the BIG basing though do you know what
    > this means ie sizes ?
    >

    >>It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
    >
    > Well I will be fine then as I mostly play solo nowdays :-)
    >
    > Gary

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "Gary Barr" <sgt.steiner@virgin.net> wrote in message

    Hi Gary,

    > Am looking to rekindle my interest in Ancients and am looking at
    > purchasing a new ruleset so am looking for views/reviews of following :
    >
    > Ancient Warfare (by T.Gore)
    > Classical Hack
    > Warrior (I believe these are WRG 7th based ?)

    I'm afraid I haven't played any of these, however...

    > Note I have armies in 15mm based to WRG 'standards' and in past have used
    > WRG 7th, DBM and my favourite Might Of Arms, I also own PK Archon II but
    > have not got around to using this set yet.

    I generally use 'Strategos' published by the Society of Ancients - uses a
    grid based system so base sizes are irrelevant it it works well for both
    solo & multi-player games. My stuff is all DBx based (20mm plastic on 25mm
    DBA bases), I just use multiple bases were appropriate for the different
    unit types. There is a yahoogroup for Strategos as well as reviews on the
    SOA website http://www.soa.org.uk/ (articles section)

    There are reviews of the other rules you mention above here as well.

    > Any other alternative rulesets out there ? I know Warmaster Ancients is
    > due soon

    I rather like De Bellis Matricae (another SOA game), but that only works
    multi-player - rather unusual in that the players essentially make the
    rules/game narrative up as they go along by constructing 'arguments'. ie it
    is a structured committee game with toy soldiers.

    Martin
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Chis answered your basing question already, I could add that if you want to try
    sabot bases to convert you figures work equally well.
    I play Vis Bellica on 6*3 cm bases and Vis Magica at 8*4 cm bases (15mm figures
    obviously).
    Peter

    --
    It is not the ruleset that makes the game, it's the people.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi Chris

    > VB big basing is not a problem
    After posting I read through the VB site & saw some discussions of this
    'issue' and the 8cm wide (ie 2 DBM bases) seems ok.
    I took the plunge and ordered these (and pre-order for Warmaster Anc) rules.

    >f you want to try them out then we are often playing them on a Thursday
    >ight at the HDWS club in Huntingdon
    Thanks for the kind offer but being in N.Ireland makes this a tad awkward
    :-)

    Cheers
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi Martin

    > I generally use 'Strategos' published by the Society of Ancients
    I think I have an early version of this from my long lapsed subscription to
    Slingshot ?

    > There are reviews of the other rules you mention above here as well.
    Roger that will check them out

    > I rather like De Bellis Matricae (another SOA game), but that only works
    > multi-player - rather unusual in that the players essentially make the
    > rules/game narrative up as they go along by constructing 'arguments'. ie
    > it is a structured committee game with toy soldiers.
    If I end up playing this set on my own they will likely cart me of to the
    funny farm rather smartly ! :-)

    Cheers
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi ccooper@eagle.org

    > "Warmaster Ancients" is being released in June. You might want to wait
    > and see if they are what you're looking for.
    I have pre-ordered this set (as I like the Warmaster system) but that wont
    stop me trying other sets :-)

    Cheers
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    do join the vb yahoo group as there are both eratta and some good rules
    suggestions there as well as alot of scenarios and other stuff. Also
    there are a good bunch of regular posters who wil try to answer any
    questions you have.

    Chris

    Gary Barr wrote:
    > Hi Chris
    >

    >>VB big basing is not a problem
    >
    > After posting I read through the VB site & saw some discussions of this
    > 'issue' and the 8cm wide (ie 2 DBM bases) seems ok.
    > I took the plunge and ordered these (and pre-order for Warmaster Anc) rules.
    >

    >>f you want to try them out then we are often playing them on a Thursday
    >>ight at the HDWS club in Huntingdon
    >
    > Thanks for the kind offer but being in N.Ireland makes this a tad awkward
    > :-)
    >
    > Cheers

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi Chris

    > do join the vb yahoo group as there are both eratta and some good rules
    > suggestions there as well as alot of scenarios and other stuff. Also
    > there are a good bunch of regular posters who wil try to answer any
    > questions you have.
    Rules arrived today (Caliver Books top class service as always) and I have
    joined the Yahoo group (jings not another one !!) now if only I did not have
    a late shift today I would get some figs on table and have a go :-)

    Cheers
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    You have Might of Arms - all you really need is a couple of new armies for
    variety.

    I've played Classic Hack and it has lots of modifiers and is more procedure
    bound than MOA. It also has the "Super Man Syndrome" (Romans) that the
    French get in Napoleonics.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi Mike

    > You have Might of Arms
    Yes and I really do like this excellent ruleset

    > - all you really need is a couple of new armies for
    > variety.
    Ah but therein lies the rub pour moi as sadly I have delevoped a rather
    nasty skin allergy to glues and paints which makes painting new armies a tad
    painful and not just to my pocket or time :-(

    > I've played Classic Hack and it has lots of modifiers and is more
    > procedure
    > bound than MOA.
    I looked at this and T.Gores Ancient/Mediveal Warfare sets and thought that
    they looked at bit 'old school' re factors and suchlike so I bought Vis
    Bellica which upon first glance seem a nice set with similar complexity to
    MOA, only downside is use of leaders figs for C&C purposes which brings me
    back to the painting problem.......................

    I will most assuredly still use MOA but since variety is definately the
    spice of life (as my ever growing collection of WWII rules attests !) I will
    try VB and I think PKArchon II (did not like first incarnation) with smidgin
    of Armati as alternatives :-)
    I am no longer a big fan of DBM as I cant keep up with the ever changing
    versions (the basic rule system is fine) of rules and army lists and not
    having the competition mindset anymore (I did play in couple of WRG 7th &
    DBMs comps at Derby UK many moons ago) they leave me tad disaffected
    nowdays. Mind you if one wants a game against anyone here in NI (or anywhere
    ?) they are the set of choice as just about everyone has them and they
    require minimal preparation for a game.

    Cheers
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Too bad you don't live around here (Maryland). Locally we have 20 some
    different armies for MOA so can play anything 1500BC to 1500AD - and perhaps
    a bit latter for Samurai.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi Mike

    > Too bad you don't live around here (Maryland).
    Just a bit too far to travel across the pond :-)
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Mike is right Gary we do MoA, Ancient Warfare, and Classical Hack all
    in the same club! Baltimore Washington International airport is 15
    minutes from the store we game in every Sunday. Classicial Hack and
    Ancient Warfare (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GoreAMwar/) and
    active Yahoo groups. Both also have websites at
    http://www.classicalhack.com/ and http://www.saga-publishing.com/ I
    play both and did a Magnesia Triple play game at Historicon two years
    ago with Classical Hack, and MoA using the same board and figures. I
    do Classical Hack at conventions right now and here is a link to my
    game at Cold Wars. http://www.classicalhack.com/cw4james/jamescw4.html
    You will find that many do tournaments with AW here in the States.
    Classical Hack does have rules for army point lists but must of those
    who do CH run scenarios at conventions. Classical Hack and AW both have
    a series of rules that are the base for several periods so you can
    branch out with the same basic set. I like the mechanism in both AW and
    Classical Hack and would recommend both.
    VR
    James Mattes
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

[...]
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi James

    > I like the mechanism in both AW and
    > Classical Hack and would recommend both.
    Thanks for info I will likely buy AW as most of my 'Ancients' armies are
    'Dark Age +'

    Cheers

Games Video Games