Buying a new computer

oob360

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
This is my first post, so im not too sure where to put this…

I have had my dell dimension 4500 for about 6 years, and I thought it was about time for me to get a new computer.

What I want to do is buy a new computer and for the computer to last a while (hopefully another 6 years!). I am a gamer. I am not too experienced in buying computers. This is the computer I'm looking at buying:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/print_summary_details_popup.aspx?~lt=print&c=us&cs=19&fb=1&l=en&oc=DPCWDX1&s=dhs&leadtime=12/9/2009&showleadtime=True

does this system look good?

some specific questions:

1. is an i7 worth it?

2. if i were to get an i7, which i7

3. do i need a sound card?

4. what is the average monitor resolution and screen size now days?

I've never used this site, but i saw that it had helped many other people with their computer questions.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
The big question is what do you want to do with the computer?
What games and applications?
What is your budget?
What does it include (pc, OS, monitor, mouse, etc)?
Do you plan to overclock?
Do you want to use multiple graphics cards?

According to this THG review, for gaming an i5 is adequate, although I would stick with the i7-860 as a minimum to get hyperthreading. Whether you need the i7-920 depends on what other uses you might have that require the faster computer. But it definitely is the faster processor - but you add about $250 -$300 to the cost for the more expensive processor, mobo, and additional memory.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2466.html

Then this article about the i5 and...

rockyjohn

Distinguished
The big question is what do you want to do with the computer?
What games and applications?
What is your budget?
What does it include (pc, OS, monitor, mouse, etc)?
Do you plan to overclock?
Do you want to use multiple graphics cards?

According to this THG review, for gaming an i5 is adequate, although I would stick with the i7-860 as a minimum to get hyperthreading. Whether you need the i7-920 depends on what other uses you might have that require the faster computer. But it definitely is the faster processor - but you add about $250 -$300 to the cost for the more expensive processor, mobo, and additional memory.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2466.html

Then this article about the i5 and i7-8xx processors:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410.html

Alienware makes a good computer - but you pay a lot extra for the brand name and still suffer some of the disadvantages of mass produced systems - such as less control over component brand selection. What is the price for the system with the options you selected?

Another option is Cyberpower which gives you a lot of control over components and generally much better prices.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I don't think you need the water cooling unless you plan some heavy overclocking. If gaming is your primary interest, you need to allocate more to the gaming card and 6 GB of memory and less to the cpu and water cooling - unless you can afford to spend big on everything.

Here is a model system on put together on Cyberpower recently - it has a modest video card because I am not that big of a gamer - a trueblood gamer would want a bigger one. And I inlcuded the i7-920 processor to have top end for other uses - it could be cut back if your other needs were not as heavy.

CyberPower X-58 Configuration – Total Price $1405
• *BASE_PRICE: [+795]
• CD: Sony 20X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+2] (BLACK COLOR)
• CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Scout Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/ Transparent Side Panel [+44]
• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
• FAN: Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Double layer H.D.T. technology for maximum cooling) [+43]
• HDD: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+26])
• KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
• MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
• MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA [+55]
• MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+93] (Corsair or Major Brand)
• OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
• POWERSUPPLY: Corsair Power Supplies [+101] (750 Watts CMPSU-750TX - Quad SLI Ready [+8])
• RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
• SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
• SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
• SPEAKERS: Logitech S120 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [+19] (Black Color)
• VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] [+115] (Major Brand Powered by ATI

Solution

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Most people do not use a sound card - the onboard is generally more than ample. But it is easy to add one later if for some reason you find it inadequate.

The average monitor and screen size is all over the place - any "average" is meaningless - again depending on your uses and also on budget. If they can afford it. most games go to a resolution of 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 with as large a board as they can afford - going up to 24" or larger or some even using multiple boards.