lost backgrounds

I caught viruses on a new brand new Gateway computer and tried to clean them
with the pre-loaded "Norton anti-virus" and "McAfee anti-spyware". Some
viruses didn't clean or came back. I bought Panda software Titanium 2005 and
it worked great - no troubles except for one annoying thing: A message on a
blue background that says "SYSTEM STOPPED try removing spyware..."and I can't
get rid of it. I tried going to contr. panel and display but the "Background
tab" is missing, I tried doing a "save file as background" but no luck. Is
there a way to switch things back?
3 answers Last reply
More about lost backgrounds

    Alex_VH wrote:

    > I caught viruses on a new brand new Gateway computer and tried to
    > clean them with the pre-loaded "Norton anti-virus" and "McAfee
    > anti-spyware". Some viruses didn't clean or came back. I bought Panda
    > software Titanium 2005 and it worked great - no troubles except for
    > one annoying thing: A message on a blue background that says "SYSTEM
    > STOPPED try removing spyware..."and I can't get rid of it. I tried
    > going to contr. panel and display but the "Background tab" is missing,
    > I tried doing a "save file as background" but no luck. Is there a way
    > to switch things back?

    The background image comes from malware. Your system is probably still
    not completely clean, since antivirus programs don't target non-viral
    malware. Here is information about the Desktop problem, and then you
    should also do the general malware removal steps here:

    Here's how to get rid of the desktop warning being displayed by malware.
    Go to the Display applet in Control Panel and look on the Desktop tab.
    Click on Customize Desktop, and then click on the Web tab. You will see
    that there are checkmarks next to "My Current Home Page" and probably
    "Lock Desktop Items". Uncheck these. By highlighting the "My Current
    Home Page" and clicking on the Properties button, you will be able to
    determine the name of the file that is the message. It might be called
    something like "security.html" or the like.

    Click Apply and OK out when you've made your changes. Then you want to
    find the *.html malware file and delete it.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks Malke, but there is no Desktop tab in the Display applet, only Screen
    saver & Settings. I'll look at the link you sent. If you have any other
    suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.

    Alex_VH wrote:

    > Thanks Malke, but there is no Desktop tab in the Display applet, only
    > Screen
    > saver & Settings. I'll look at the link you sent. If you have any
    > other suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Alex_VH wrote:
    >>
    >> > I caught viruses on a new brand new Gateway computer and tried to
    >> > clean them with the pre-loaded "Norton anti-virus" and "McAfee
    >> > anti-spyware". Some viruses didn't clean or came back. I bought
    >> > Panda software Titanium 2005 and it worked great - no troubles
    >> > except for one annoying thing: A message on a blue background that
    >> > says "SYSTEM STOPPED try removing spyware..."and I can't get rid of
    >> > it. I tried going to contr. panel and display but the "Background
    >> > tab" is missing, I tried doing a "save file as background" but no
    >> > luck. Is there a way to switch things back?

    If you can't enable desktop backgrounds after a virus, MVP Kelly Theriot
    has a fix. Look under Wallpaper-Desktop-Disable Changing here:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm

    If Display tabs are missing, run Kelly's registry edit on line 285,
    right-hand side "Restore all display tabs".

    You still need to run additional cleanup.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com