Internet 6.0 and XP

July 20, 2005 8:23:02 PM

Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for internet
connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on one board
that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if I should not
have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get my desktop icons
to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be appreciated!

More about : internet

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:50:46 PM

When you install Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6
is also installed. Exactly what type of issue are you
having? Please describe in detail....

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"warhick1981" wrote:

| Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for internet
| connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on one board
| that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if I should not
| have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get my desktop icons
| to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be appreciated!
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:51:38 PM

IE6 is part and parcel of and comes pre-installed on WinXP. How did you
install it? From where did you download it for installation?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

warhick1981 wrote:
> Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for
> internet connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on
> one board that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if
> I should not have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get
> my desktop icons to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be
> appreciated!
July 21, 2005 1:30:04 AM

I believe that I downloaded an update from my "automatic update" feature. To
be honest, I'm not totally sure. I just know that my all the shortcuts on my
desktop that used to connect me to websites have, over the past week or so,
have gradually stopped working; I'll click them and the window will pop up
(or with some, a portion of the window) and it'll saying connecting, but
then, when it does seem to connect, the window closes itself. So, at this
point, I can only access the internet by going into My Computer and going
through the Favorites list there.
I don't know if this helps you, or not. But, thanks for your time.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> IE6 is part and parcel of and comes pre-installed on WinXP. How did you
> install it? From where did you download it for installation?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> warhick1981 wrote:
> > Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for
> > internet connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on
> > one board that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if
> > I should not have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get
> > my desktop icons to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be
> > appreciated!

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:25:34 AM

If the problem was caused by a recent Windows Update, uninstalling it should
fix it. Go to Windows Update and click on the Update History link in the
left-hand pane to see updates recently installed. Note especially the KB
number associated with each update (e.g., KB903235 for MS05-037) then go to
Add/Remove Programs, find the update (make sure Show Updates is checked at
top of window), uninstall it and reboot.

The problem may have been caused by Malicious Software which the Malicious
Software Removal tool, er..., removed. If so, the behavior's being caused
by leftover files the tool didn't remove. (The tool's a work in progress
and, like your anti-virus application, can never be truly realtime,
up-to-date when it scans.) See next paragraph.

To be honest, too, your problem sounds like a hijackware infection. You
should at least rule it out.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**

Hang in there and let us know how you make out.
--

warhick1981 wrote:
> I believe that I downloaded an update from my "automatic update" feature.
> To be honest, I'm not totally sure. I just know that my all the
> shortcuts on my desktop that used to connect me to websites have, over
> the past week or so, have gradually stopped working; I'll click them and
> the window will pop up (or with some, a portion of the window) and it'll
> saying connecting, but then, when it does seem to connect, the window
> closes itself. So, at this point, I can only access the internet by
> going into My Computer and going through the Favorites list there.
> I don't know if this helps you, or not. But, thanks for your time.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > IE6 is part and parcel of and comes pre-installed on WinXP. How did you
> > install it? From where did you download it for installation?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > warhick1981 wrote:
> > > Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for
> > > internet connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw
> > > on one board that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was
> > > wondering if I should not have installed it? But, mostly, I need to
> > > know how to get my desktop icons to work again. Any assistance
> > > and/or advice would be appreciated!
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:30:01 AM

Thank you for your advice; I'll try these suggestions as soon as I get enough
free time.
Thanks again!

!