Internet 6.0 and XP

Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for internet
connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on one board
that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if I should not
have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get my desktop icons
to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be appreciated!
5 answers Last reply
More about internet

    When you install Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6
    is also installed. Exactly what type of issue are you
    having? Please describe in detail....

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "warhick1981" wrote:

    | Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for internet
    | connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on one board
    | that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if I should not
    | have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get my desktop icons
    | to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be appreciated!

    IE6 is part and parcel of and comes pre-installed on WinXP. How did you
    install it? From where did you download it for installation?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    warhick1981 wrote:
    > Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for
    > internet connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on
    > one board that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if
    > I should not have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get
    > my desktop icons to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be
    > appreciated!

    I believe that I downloaded an update from my "automatic update" feature. To
    be honest, I'm not totally sure. I just know that my all the shortcuts on my
    desktop that used to connect me to websites have, over the past week or so,
    have gradually stopped working; I'll click them and the window will pop up
    (or with some, a portion of the window) and it'll saying connecting, but
    then, when it does seem to connect, the window closes itself. So, at this
    point, I can only access the internet by going into My Computer and going
    through the Favorites list there.
    I don't know if this helps you, or not. But, thanks for your time.

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > IE6 is part and parcel of and comes pre-installed on WinXP. How did you
    > install it? From where did you download it for installation?
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > warhick1981 wrote:
    > > Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for
    > > internet connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw on
    > > one board that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was wondering if
    > > I should not have installed it? But, mostly, I need to know how to get
    > > my desktop icons to work again. Any assistance and/or advice would be
    > > appreciated!

    If the problem was caused by a recent Windows Update, uninstalling it should
    fix it. Go to Windows Update and click on the Update History link in the
    left-hand pane to see updates recently installed. Note especially the KB
    number associated with each update (e.g., KB903235 for MS05-037) then go to
    Add/Remove Programs, find the update (make sure Show Updates is checked at
    top of window), uninstall it and reboot.

    The problem may have been caused by Malicious Software which the Malicious
    Software Removal tool, er..., removed. If so, the behavior's being caused
    by leftover files the tool didn't remove. (The tool's a work in progress
    and, like your anti-virus application, can never be truly realtime,
    up-to-date when it scans.) See next paragraph.

    To be honest, too, your problem sounds like a hijackware infection. You
    should at least rule it out.

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    Hang in there and let us know how you make out.
    --

    warhick1981 wrote:
    > I believe that I downloaded an update from my "automatic update" feature.
    > To be honest, I'm not totally sure. I just know that my all the
    > shortcuts on my desktop that used to connect me to websites have, over
    > the past week or so, have gradually stopped working; I'll click them and
    > the window will pop up (or with some, a portion of the window) and it'll
    > saying connecting, but then, when it does seem to connect, the window
    > closes itself. So, at this point, I can only access the internet by
    > going into My Computer and going through the Favorites list there.
    > I don't know if this helps you, or not. But, thanks for your time.
    >
    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    > > IE6 is part and parcel of and comes pre-installed on WinXP. How did you
    > > install it? From where did you download it for installation?
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >
    > > warhick1981 wrote:
    > > > Every since I installed Internet Explorer 6.0, my desktop icons for
    > > > internet connections have stopped working one by one. I recently saw
    > > > on one board that Internet 6.0 isn't for use with XP, and I was
    > > > wondering if I should not have installed it? But, mostly, I need to
    > > > know how to get my desktop icons to work again. Any assistance
    > > > and/or advice would be appreciated!

    Thank you for your advice; I'll try these suggestions as soon as I get enough
    free time.
    Thanks again!

Internet Windows XP Desktop Icons