Operating System Not Found

On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up and
then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys work
nor I can start it in safe mode.

I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!
7 answers Last reply
More about operating system found

    Did you try disconnecting and re-connecting the hard drive cables?
    Does your BIOS see a hard drive?

    "Operating System Not Found" <Operating System Not
    Found@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up
    > and
    > then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys
    > work
    > nor I can start it in safe mode.
    >
    > I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
    > two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
    > registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

    visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    button and take a look at question 86

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

    "Operating System Not Found" <Operating System Not
    Found@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up
    > and
    > then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys
    > work
    > nor I can start it in safe mode.
    >
    > I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
    > two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
    > registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

    Roger That.. I just read the question and the instructions. Its a long night
    ahead I guess....

    Thanks a bunch.

    "John Barnett MVP" wrote:

    > visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    > button and take a look at question 86
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > "Operating System Not Found" <Operating System Not
    > Found@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up
    > > and
    > > then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys
    > > work
    > > nor I can start it in safe mode.
    > >
    > > I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
    > > two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
    > > registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

    In the BIOS Setup utility screen, where do i see my harddrive listed. It has
    Main, Advanced, Security, Power, Boot, Exit Menus.

    I could not find Standard CMOS Setup.

    "John Barnett MVP" wrote:

    > visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    > button and take a look at question 86
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > "Operating System Not Found" <Operating System Not
    > Found@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up
    > > and
    > > then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys
    > > work
    > > nor I can start it in safe mode.
    > >
    > > I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
    > > two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
    > > registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

    I suppose it may not be in all bios'...but some have the IDE devices listed.
    And I suppose where depends on who's bios you're using.

    Operating System Not Found wrote:

    > On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up and
    > then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys work
    > nor I can start it in safe mode.
    >
    > I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
    > two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
    > registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

    Is there a diskette in the floppy drive?

    Steve

    The message means that the boot device was found, but the boot files were
    unable to be located. The boot sector was found.
    Could be a non-bootable floppy set to boot.
    Could be a damaged primary, active partition boot record.
    Solution is obvious when using the Repar Console on the XP install CD if the
    latter.

    "Operating System Not Found" <Operating System Not
    Found@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On My eMachines desktop, when I turn it on, the emachines logo comes up
    and
    > then a message comes up saying Operating System Not Found. No other keys
    work
    > nor I can start it in safe mode.
    >
    > I know for sure, I have not installed any new hardware on the machine, but
    > two days ago, i used a virus checker software which "cleaned" about 12
    > registry entries. I know what everyone would say... OOOPSS!!

eMachines Windows XP