LCD Anti Aliasing Problem

sp05

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Hello, I had been using a CRT monitor for sometime without a problem, I recently switched over to LCD and my Anti Aliasing while playing games is horrible. I'm aware LCD should be ran on their native resolution for best display quality, but this isn't the problem. Cleartype solved my AA problem on the desktop, but the problem remains when running games. Also, this is not a problem with a certain monitor because I have tried numerous LCD's. As soon as I switch over to the CRT the problem doesn't exists.

I run my games at 1280x1024, 6x AA, 8x AF.

Specs

AMD xp +2400
Radeon 9800pro(with latest drivers)
512mb ram

chubbza5

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
I dont think that is possible to be an LCD problem, if you have tried on mny different monitors and its the same, then its your video card. Check if your video card has differnet settings for LCD, I know some NVIDIA have different settings.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
crt's have a built-in advantage in regard to anti aliasing. adjacent phosphors in a crt have a tendency to "overlap" when lit up by the electron beams hitting them, causing slight variations in color. in effect what you get are color gradients leading from one pixel to the next. this is actually a form of anti aliasing and its free!
fixed panel displays cant do this since every pixel is compartmentalized with its own eminating light source. there are two sides to a coin though... since these pixels dont interact/interfere with eachother, colors can be noticably sharper and clearer.