Unable to boot

maclaxguy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
I'm attempting to install Linux for the first time. I have it installed, however, whenever I go to boot, I never can. I get to the RedHat Linux screen where I select "Linux". THe screen then flashes something like.."Booting Linux....... Uncompressing Linux...... Booting the kernal.....", and then the machine just resets. Originally I thought that I might want to try a new installation, as it might be the software, but when I stuck in the CD, it began to boot of the CD, and then, the machine reset. I have tried all the combinations I could think of on the jumpers, and the only thing that did was get me as far as seeing the "Booting Linux.....etc..", as previous to that, it would restart before flashing the text. If anyone could kindly help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
All I could suggest is a different distro. Some distro kernels use extra patches that don't always play nice with all hardware... I've had RedHat do that to me on one machine, but it was a while ago - I just put Mandrake on it instead.

It's also possible your hardware is playing up. I remember one post some time ago with a similar boot problem and it turned out to be bad ram.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

genlee

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
Sounds like a hardware problem since your not getting a kernel panic during boot. Though you could of accidently set init level to 6 but I am not sure exactly where your system processes the init level during boot.

rollingrock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
Did you download and burn the cds yourself? If so, you may want to check the md5sum of the isos that you downloaded. You should be able to find a windows utility that does that or if you can get to access to another linux machine the command is md5sum

I've taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me --Twain

maclaxguy

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
I installed this machine with another hard drive with the images on it, thus eliminating the need for CD's. However, I did get a chance to try it out on my Win98 PC (just popped the HD in) and it booted Linux fine, so it must be the hardware I've got.