Stupid Question: Able to record CD on DVD writer?

Ispep

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
It's stupid I know, but I've only just gotten one and when I open it up in NERO it says only MP3 disc, not audio disc? So I'm scared of breaking it in some way. How do I make audio discs and is it recommended not to use CDs in these writers?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How do I make audio discs and is it recommended not to use CDs in these writers?
Open Nero Burning ROM and choose Audio CD in New Compilation window and for second question, it's OK to use CDs on these DVD writer drives.

Ispep

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Thank you, unfortunately that did not work for me because it <i>always</i> comes up with an burn error at the end of the proccess.

I have burnt 4 successful DVD+Rs on the drive in data mode, and one of them reported file differentials at the end of burning but still seemed to work fine.

I have tried burning all kinds of CDs on this Pioneer model but it will not work?

I'm at wits end, what do I do?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your DVD writer might be defective. BTW, make sure DMA is enabled for your drives (HD and DVD). Do you have other DVD or CD writer to test it can burn CD successful?

Ispep

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
I have a plextor drive that cost me £120 back in the day and was perfect until a couple of days ago when it just disappeared off my device list. I'm going to try it on another PC to see whether it's defective or not, but lets assume it isn't - what would it mean?