abyssau

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
To whom it may concern,

sorry if this is in the wrong section

today i got a brand new p9x79 mobo with an intel 3820

is there anyway to disable tu uefi bios? its so annoying

also when i try to install windows - it works fine - but when it loads into windows - it will randonly detect my dvd drive on one boot but not on another

any suggestions?

Thanks heaps in advance

abyssau

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
just to clarify its the p9x79 pro mobo

and installing windows is much much slower then when i had my old mobo

also the only think i could find on installing windows was this

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

but the funny thing is, is that the dvd issue above appearing randomly, some times it will appear as 2 dvd drives and then 5 seconds later when i refresh - it goes back to just the single one

i prefer MBR to GPT

EFI/UEFI and BIOS are two different standard firmware implementations for x86 computers. EFI/UEFI is the successor to BIOS and enjoys a large amount of backwards and forwards compatibility with older hardware. It is not possible to disable UEFI, nor should you want to. What you should do though is ensure that the firmware revision is up to date and that you've converted it to Asus's new .CAP format (if it didn't ship that way).

Also, when installing Windows you must have the target storage device and optical drive attached to the Intel PCH storage controller and not the add-in storage controller. The add-in storage controller is usually attached to the bottom two SATA ports, but you should check your motherboard manual to be certain. If you attempt to install Windows from an optical disk that is booted from a legacy BIOS OPROM onto a hard disk which boots from an EFI compatible OPROM you will run into issues such as the one that you described. Many add-in controllers such as those from ASMedia do not have proper ATAPI or AHCI support, and should only be used with pure legacy ATA devices.

abyssau

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
thank you for the reply

after continuous attemptions
and reading manuals (install windows 7 with uefi- link somewhere on toms hardware)

i figured out that i CAN install windows without a third partition.....

and im just waiting to see now if it still has those issues

i really liked the old bios ways - it was much simpler - non of the hyped up garbage that i have to filter through now with uefi

thanks again for the post and i will see how it goes

my next step is to see when i install windows - then patch via windows update then install mobo drivers

Windows will always install fairly slow, especially to platter drives. Make sure that you install the 64 bit version of Windows and install it to a drive with no partitions on it. Also ensure that you install it in AHCI mode or RAID mode (Intel RAID mode is AHCI with firmware RAID and a boot ROM). You will also need to provide the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers at install time. You will definitely want the drive to be formatted using a GPT scheme rather than an MBR scheme.

UEFI isn't necessarily any more complex than BIOS. The settings exposed to the user are purely up to the manufacturer. The X79 chipset is very robust and is not meant for entry level users, thus Asus has gone all out and exposed tons of options that wouldn't normally be exposed.

abyssau

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
thank you for responding

this thread can be closed

the issue seemed to resolve itself on a second install of windows (deleted drive)

a note for the future though - should it help someone else.

with the p9x79 -pro mobo with an intel 3820

i was able to install windows without having 3 patitions - i only had 2 partitions

i dont know what the bios version number is but as of todays date 2012-09-25

on the initial load screen of the uefi load screen(you get to it by pressing DEL to access UEFI Bios) - click on the "boot options" on the bottom right and select the dvd drive and then windows will not use 3 partitions - it will only use two partitions

...on a trouble shooting note - the bios is set to "legacy and uefi bios settings" NOT Windows 8

all the best to everyone