PSYCHED! Dell 2709W LCD Monitor just released!!

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I'm definitely getting one. Anyone else?

- 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA+) Optimum Resolution
- Supports advanced features like PIP (Picture-in-Picture) and PBP (Picture-By-Picture)
- 16.7 Million Colours
- True Colour Technology (110% Colour Gamut)
- 3000:1 Contrast Ratio
- 6ms Response Time
- 400 cd/m2 Brightness
- Anti-glare surface
- Two DVI-D Inputs w/HDCP Support
- One Analogue Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- One Component Input
- One HDMI Input
- One DisplayPort Input
- Height adjustable stand (100mm travel)
- VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
- Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports
- Integrated powered 9-in-2 Card Reader

With the 2408 already out, you just have to choose whether you want 24 or 27" and not settle for a 27" monitor with no HDMI.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
cost ? my guess is $800-1000 ... too much for me to spend on a computer monitor.

I like the 2408 and the 32'' model too, and was impressed by the 30'' lcd they have in the dell store but not impressed w\ the $1700 price tag of the 30''.

Well, you pay for quality, and the 30" is an S-IPS panel, which is made for very high color accuracy (video and photo work). IMO, they're worth every penny if you are willing to pay it. The 2709 looks nice too, though I'd probably take the 2408 for the higher pixel density.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Yeah, I agree with you. I mean, how can both the 2408 and the 2709 have the same screen resolution? My brother has the 2408 and he even says he wishes that the resolution was higher on that one.

I want the monitor for general computer use, gaming, watching movies at home and for playing Wii with my friends. The 2408 just doesn't seem big enough and I can't afford the 30".

Do you think that the reduced pixel density on the 2709 is enough of a factor to get the 2408 instead, considering my uses?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I have the new 2408 - I love it for video. When I burn a video that I, er, d/l'd - and play it on my old 27" Sony CRT & DVD player - the actual displayed size is exactly that of the Dell - I love the 2408, but that baby is hot (so is the similar, but inferior, HP 24".

I'd say it really depends. The lower pixel density does mean that anti aliasing will be more important in games for it to look smooth, but the large screen size is nice for movies or gaming from more of a distance (as in the case of the Wii). It would be a spectacular monitor, no doubt.

Psy

Distinguished
May 4, 2004
I'm thinking of getting the 2709W, the extra 3 inches for movies would be cool, I wonder what it would look like with games though :(

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I'm having the same problem. Where I live, the 2709W is actually cheaper than the 2408 right now. 1050$ vs 1400$ with tax and shipping included. The obvious choice would be to go for the 2709W then. I know it would look awesome when playing Wii, PS2 or watching movies on it. But what about games? I'm assuming that I'll have to sit back pretty far in order to take it all in?

I just checked out my brother's 2408, it's huge. He bought it for about 700$, though. Where I live, it's twice that.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Thank you for the input. I'm going to order it now and I'll check back here with the full report after I test it out! It says that it ships within 1-2 weeks so expect a report in around 3 weeks :)

Bettsy01

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Hello guys, new user to the forum here.

I just wanted to let you know, I have the Dell 2709w and I am very surprised when running it threw a few gaming tests. I was a little nervy at first, paying out quite a chunk for one of these and hearing it suffers from lag.

I have played both fifa 2008 and COD4 on this monitor and theres is ZERO lag. The display is crisp and will be used as part of media center set up in my living room. I have a dual core PC with an 8800gts, freeview card and a nearly 800gb of storage. It will look mint when I get it all set up, at my new place.

For the speakers, I didnt want a surround set up, as I want to save space and I couldnt deal with the wires, lol. So I opted for a set of creative T40's - Its going to look well mint, cant wait.

Anyways - Bye for now guys....

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Just moved and don't have internet at home so I couldn't write earlier. Anyway, I finally got the monitor three weeks ago. It's fantastic! Picture, quality, crispness, everything.

Some strange things about the monitor, on the other hand. When you turn it off, the built in USB hub with card adapter also gets turned off. I haven't the slightest clue why. I don't use power management features in Windows so I turn everything off manually. The power button itself is a bit strange, it senses when you're going to touch it. I can't really explain it. I haven't had to adjust the picture or anything yet, it does a fantastic job of self tuning. I don't even know how I would go about adjusting anything because there's only the one power button.

The only complaint that I have is I wish it had a higher resolution. The fact that it has the same resolution as the 24" version is strange in my opinion. I think they could have upped it a bit more. It sits at 1920 x 1200. I paid 925$ for it on sale here in Norway, then they raised the price to 1300$. By comparison, the 30" version sits at 2560 x 1600, but costs 3200$ here. I'm not sure if there's a resolution between 1920 x 1200 and 2560 x 1600 that fits well for widescreen monitors.

I've played Mass Effect on this monitor and it was superb. Also played a little Painkiller. I'm waiting to get internet at home before I try out the Valve and ID games I have on Steam.