Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

dfrg.msc

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Registry
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi guys.
When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.

More about : dfrg msc

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:42:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Try:-
Restore Defrag Snap-In line 291 left:-
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP


joon wrote:
> Hi guys.
> When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
> dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
> cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
> reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:43:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Joon,

Get the .msc association fix from here:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

mmc.exe runs the msc files.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"joon" <joon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:34D10284-1C0B-4EF1-B522-884E67094695@microsoft.com...
> Hi guys.
> When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
> dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools
> to
> cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how
> can I
> reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.
Related resources
December 2, 2008 4:52:31 PM

Lost dfrg.mmc


This Has Just Happened To Me! I Have Fixed It Like This:
Right Click On Disk Defragmenter Shortcut, Click On Properties,
Then Click On Find Target.
This Should Bring Up System 32 With A File highlighted (dfrg).
Right Click On The dfrg file And Click On Properties.
Click on Change Tab,
The (Choose Open With Box) Comes Up Click Browse.
In The Look-in Window Go To C Drive/Windows/System32
Then Find A File Called mmc (It Has A Hammer Icon)
Click On The File Then Press Ok...

Job Done!
Cheers Wellybbobs
August 1, 2009 9:10:07 PM

Anonymous,

I have been looking for the solution this problem for over a week; I keep getting redirected to other things that are irrelevant. I went to your link that contains the links for "defaulting" back to the original setting for that file. It corrected the problem in less than 60 seconds from moment I clicked on the link to the time it fixed it.

Thank you!!!


Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Try:-
Restore Defrag Snap-In line 291 left:-
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP


joon wrote:
> Hi guys.
> When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
> dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
> cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
> reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.

Anonymous
September 16, 2009 4:40:33 AM

I had similar problem with one of my xp(3) workstations. I do not remember the cause. Some how dfrg.msc got corrupted, deleted the same from system32 ,and then copied a good one (dfrg.msc) from another xp-pro(2), dropped in system32 folder of (xp3). Since, I have dirrent user account setup in the (xp3) system, right clicked on dsfrg.msc--> properties then un-checked the restrictions. I could open dfrg.msc from system32 as an author, defraged the hds, as needed. However, I have same problem when tried as accessories-system tool- defrag, but I guess I have a bypass of the above problem.

FYI, I tried all the freedown-loads, and found that those applications, would scan the system for free, and then qoute a price to fix the errors.

regards.
Manas Mukherjee.
Anonymous
September 16, 2009 4:50:59 AM

MSC File Association Fix (Restore default associations for MSC files) from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm, corrected the defrag shortcuts in All Programs->accessories>system tool >disk defrag
September 17, 2009 9:46:22 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi guys.
When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.


-I use JV16 Power Tools also, its very easy to mess things up like apps and your OS with it so if you were smart, you would have a back-up and should have restored it :)  After 1000 warnings that the program gives you and still didn't make a back-up when cleaning your Registry then suffer. You can do a system repair which rebuilds your registry, it could fix the problem.
Anonymous
January 21, 2010 9:35:01 AM

Gr8888, It's a Nice job.

Really very nice and 100% satisfied answer.

Thanks

Michal Luaa

wellybobbs said:
Lost dfrg.mmc


This Has Just Happened To Me! I Have Fixed It Like This:
Right Click On Disk Defragmenter Shortcut, Click On Properties,
Then Click On Find Target.
This Should Bring Up System 32 With A File highlighted (dfrg).
Right Click On The dfrg file And Click On Properties.
Click on Change Tab,
The (Choose Open With Box) Comes Up Click Browse.
In The Look-in Window Go To C Drive/Windows/System32
Then Find A File Called mmc (It Has A Hammer Icon)
Click On The File Then Press Ok...

Job Done!
Cheers Wellybbobs

!