dfrg.msc

Hi guys.
When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.
8 answers Last reply
More about dfrg

    Try:-
    Restore Defrag Snap-In line 291 left:-

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    joon wrote:
    > Hi guys.
    > When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
    > dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
    > cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
    > reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.

    Joon,

    Get the .msc association fix from here:

    mmc.exe runs the msc files.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "joon" <joon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys.
    > When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
    > dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools
    > cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how
    > can I
    > reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.
  3. Lost dfrg.mmc

    This Has Just Happened To Me! I Have Fixed It Like This:
    Right Click On Disk Defragmenter Shortcut, Click On Properties,
    Then Click On Find Target.
    This Should Bring Up System 32 With A File highlighted (dfrg).
    Right Click On The dfrg file And Click On Properties.
    Click on Change Tab,
    The (Choose Open With Box) Comes Up Click Browse.
    In The Look-in Window Go To C Drive/Windows/System32
    Then Find A File Called mmc (It Has A Hammer Icon)
    Click On The File Then Press Ok...

    Job Done!
    Cheers Wellybbobs
  4. Anonymous,

    I have been looking for the solution this problem for over a week; I keep getting redirected to other things that are irrelevant. I went to your link that contains the links for "defaulting" back to the original setting for that file. It corrected the problem in less than 60 seconds from moment I clicked on the link to the time it fixed it.

    Thank you!!!

    Quote:

    joon wrote:
    > Hi guys.
    > When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
    > dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
    > cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
    > reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.
  5. I had similar problem with one of my xp(3) workstations. I do not remember the cause. Some how dfrg.msc got corrupted, deleted the same from system32 ,and then copied a good one (dfrg.msc) from another xp-pro(2), dropped in system32 folder of (xp3). Since, I have dirrent user account setup in the (xp3) system, right clicked on dsfrg.msc--> properties then un-checked the restrictions. I could open dfrg.msc from system32 as an author, defraged the hds, as needed. However, I have same problem when tried as accessories-system tool- defrag, but I guess I have a bypass of the above problem.

    FYI, I tried all the freedown-loads, and found that those applications, would scan the system for free, and then qoute a price to fix the errors.

    regards.
    Manas Mukherjee.
  6. MSC File Association Fix (Restore default associations for MSC files) from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm, corrected the defrag shortcuts in All Programs->accessories>system tool >disk defrag
  7. Quote:

    Hi guys.
    When I tried open defragmenter, it says windows cannot open this file,
    dfrg.msc, and need to know what program created it. I used jv16 PowerTools to
    cleam registry couple weeks ago. I guess defragmenter's broken. But how can I
    reinstall it? Please let me know, I'd appreciate that.

    -I use JV16 Power Tools also, its very easy to mess things up like apps and your OS with it so if you were smart, you would have a back-up and should have restored it :) After 1000 warnings that the program gives you and still didn't make a back-up when cleaning your Registry then suffer. You can do a system repair which rebuilds your registry, it could fix the problem.
  8. Gr8888, It's a Nice job.

    Really very nice and 100% satisfied answer.

    Thanks

    Michal Luaa

    wellybobbs said:
    Lost dfrg.mmc

    This Has Just Happened To Me! I Have Fixed It Like This:
    Right Click On Disk Defragmenter Shortcut, Click On Properties,
    Then Click On Find Target.
    This Should Bring Up System 32 With A File highlighted (dfrg).
    Right Click On The dfrg file And Click On Properties.
    Click on Change Tab,
    The (Choose Open With Box) Comes Up Click Browse.
    In The Look-in Window Go To C Drive/Windows/System32
    Then Find A File Called mmc (It Has A Hammer Icon)
    Click On The File Then Press Ok...

    Job Done!
    Cheers Wellybbobs

Microsoft Registry Windows XP Product