Reactivating XP after changing only the IP address?

We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the image,
we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of the
NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?

I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that did
not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.

I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about reactivating changing address

    Either get a Volume License (no activation period) or set static addresses
    in Control Panel/network and internet/network connections/adapters
    properties.
    > We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the
    > image,
    > we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
    > Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of
    > the
    > NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
    >
    > I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
    > tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that
    > did
    > not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
    >
    > I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
    > as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Say what ?? I change IP addresses all the time on my machine
    when I am working on the network stuff and XP Pro (full retail)
    never asks me to re-activate. I could understand if he was
    changing the NIC, but not the address (and yes, I have switched
    between DHCP as well as static IP's -- just doing that the other
    day with a new router in the system). I know the NIC is part of
    the activation thing, but not the IP address.

    mikey

    "BrianC" <no@no.com> wrote in message
    > Either get a Volume License (no activation period) or set static addresses
    > in Control Panel/network and internet/network connections/adapters
    > properties.
    > "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the
    > > image,
    > > we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
    > > Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address
    of
    > > the
    > > NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
    > >
    > > I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
    > > tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that
    > > did
    > > not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
    > >
    > > I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a
    change
    > > as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the
    > image,
    > we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
    > Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of
    > the
    > NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
    >
    > I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
    > tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that
    > did
    > not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
    >
    > I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
    > as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Did you run sysprep before imaging? It sounds like a problem with the image.

    Kerry

    Steve wrote:

    > We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the image,
    > we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
    > Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of the
    > NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
    >
    > I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
    > tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that did
    > not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
    >
    > I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
    > as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Are you sure you changed the IP address or the MAC address of the NIC?
    If you change the MAC address then that could trigger re-activation,
    since that counts for three out of ten "votes" for hardware changes that
    can trigger re-activation. Like Kurt said, PA is a big PITA and is flakey.

    Steve

    I am just changing the IP addr, not the MAC addr. I ran Sysprep before making
    the image, but froom the sounds of the previous discussion, there may be a
    problem with the image.

    Steve

    Steve wrote:

    > I am just changing the IP addr, not the MAC addr. I ran Sysprep before making
    > the image, but froom the sounds of the previous discussion, there may be a
    > problem with the image.
    >
    > Steve

    Yes, that is certainly possible. I've seen cases recently where imaged
    machines re-detect nearly all hardware at first bootup, too.

    Steve

    > "Steve N." wrote:
    >

    >>Steve wrote:
    >>

    >>>We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the image,
    >>>we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
    >>>Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of the
    >>>NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
    >>>
    >>>I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
    >>>tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that did
    >>>not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
    >>>
    >>>I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
    >>>as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>
    >>Are you sure you changed the IP address or the MAC address of the NIC?
    >>If you change the MAC address then that could trigger re-activation,
    >>since that counts for three out of ten "votes" for hardware changes that
    >>can trigger re-activation. Like Kurt said, PA is a big PITA and is flakey.
    >>
    >>Steve

IP Address Microsoft Windows XP