Reactivating XP after changing only the IP address?

July 20, 2005 11:19:03 PM

We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the image,
we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of the
NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?

I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that did
not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.

I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?

Thanks
July 20, 2005 11:38:08 PM

Either get a Volume License (no activation period) or set static addresses
in Control Panel/network and internet/network connections/adapters
properties.
> We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the
> image,
> we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
> Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of
> the
> NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
>
> I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
> tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that
> did
> not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
>
> I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
> as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:24:17 AM

Say what ?? I change IP addresses all the time on my machine
when I am working on the network stuff and XP Pro (full retail)
never asks me to re-activate. I could understand if he was
changing the NIC, but not the address (and yes, I have switched
between DHCP as well as static IP's -- just doing that the other
day with a new router in the system). I know the NIC is part of
the activation thing, but not the IP address.

mikey

"BrianC" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Either get a Volume License (no activation period) or set static addresses
> in Control Panel/network and internet/network connections/adapters
> properties.
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the
> > image,
> > we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
> > Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address
of
> > the
> > NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
> >
> > I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
> > tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that
> > did
> > not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
> >
> > I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a
change
> > as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
> >
> > Thanks

July 21, 2005 1:43:07 AM

> We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the
> image,
> we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
> Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of
> the
> NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
>
> I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
> tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that
> did
> not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
>
> I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
> as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks

Did you run sysprep before imaging? It sounds like a problem with the image.

Kerry
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:00:45 PM

Steve wrote:

> We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the image,
> we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
> Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of the
> NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
>
> I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
> tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that did
> not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
>
> I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
> as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks

Are you sure you changed the IP address or the MAC address of the NIC?
If you change the MAC address then that could trigger re-activation,
since that counts for three out of ten "votes" for hardware changes that
can trigger re-activation. Like Kurt said, PA is a big PITA and is flakey.

Steve
July 21, 2005 6:00:46 PM

I am just changing the IP addr, not the MAC addr. I ran Sysprep before making
the image, but froom the sounds of the previous discussion, there may be a
problem with the image.

Steve

"Steve N." wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> > We are applying a ghost image on several computers. After applying the image,
> > we activate XP Professional with the product key from each machine. XP
> > Professional activates and is happy. If I simply change the IP address of the
> > NIC and reboot, XP wants me to reactivate again? Why?
> >
> > I saved the wpa.dbl file immediately after activating the first time and
> > tried copying it back in safe mode after I made the IP change, but that did
> > not make XP happy. It still wanted to reactivate.
> >
> > I do not want to reactivate a long line of PC's every time I make a change
> > as simple as changing an IP addr of the NIC. How can I fix this?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Are you sure you changed the IP address or the MAC address of the NIC?
> If you change the MAC address then that could trigger re-activation,
> since that counts for three out of ten "votes" for hardware changes that
> can trigger re-activation. Like Kurt said, PA is a big PITA and is flakey.
>
> Steve

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:18:28 PM

Steve wrote:

> I am just changing the IP addr, not the MAC addr. I ran Sysprep before making
> the image, but froom the sounds of the previous discussion, there may be a
> problem with the image.
>
> Steve

Yes, that is certainly possible. I've seen cases recently where imaged
machines re-detect nearly all hardware at first bootup, too.

Steve

!