Search request Screen

win xp home edit. sp2 - map a network drive to my p/c - after it drive
connects and shows on the explore tree span the ms search request screen and
wnats to search the drive. How do I stop the search from appearing for
network drives?

Linn,

I think the issue is two fold. Follow these steps:

How to Prevent Windows Explorer from Opening a New Window When Mapping a
Network Drive:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287676

Type this command in Start, Run dialog:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
(from David Candy)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Linn" <Linn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> win xp home edit. sp2 - map a network drive to my p/c - after it drive
> connects and shows on the explore tree span the ms search request screen
> and
> wnats to search the drive. How do I stop the search from appearing for
> network drives?

thanks, thanks, but the first option that you listed did not work (maybe
because I'm on xp sp2 and not on win 2000 as the fix denoted).

the second option DID fix one thing, now when I attach a new network drive
it updates the exploer screen with drive I requested but then opens a new
window but not with a search option screen but with the expanded drive map
(folder + file tree).

I can live with this but I still would like the second window (expaned rive
contents) not to appear at all.

any addditional help?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Linn,
>
> I think the issue is two fold. Follow these steps:
>
> How to Prevent Windows Explorer from Opening a New Window When Mapping a
> Network Drive:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287676
>
> Type this command in Start, Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
> (from David Candy)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Linn" <Linn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > win xp home edit. sp2 - map a network drive to my p/c - after it drive
> > connects and shows on the explore tree span the ms search request screen
> > and
> > wnats to search the drive. How do I stop the search from appearing for
> > network drives?

You're welcome Linn. Regarding Q287676, I've not got a chance to try that,
thought that might work in XP. I'll try replicating the problem in my test
systems here, and shall post back if I find any tweak to fix the problem.