9600 gt GC Diy upgrade With compaq SR 5385 CF

weiquan571

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I was Told by the Hp engineer that i cannot anyhow upgrade my graphic card by plugging in to a branded computer .. Is this true?

Solution
The HP guy was feeding you a line of BS. Take a look at your motherboard specs. As long as you have a PCIe (preferably x16) slot, your motherboard can support all of the newest video cards.

Then you'll want to measure how much room you have in your case to fit the video card. Some are longer than others.

Then you'll need a PSU that can support the added power requirements of the video card.
G

I suppose that the HP guy is suggesting that the card has a unique connector (you should really give more detail in your posts or people have to speculate).

I would take the card to a computer retailer or repair guy and see what he says. Or photograph it and post the shot back here via PhotoBucket.

weiquan571

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Hmm i changed my psu with it too .. to provide The Optimal Watts and power. His point is That Branded coms cannot anyhow change the parts from its original or it may not work .. And also may void the warranty if the 3rd party fired the com

G

The whole point of a desktop computer is that parts can be swapped in to upgrade or repair it. I've never heard of a desktop which wouldn't work with a replacement graphics card -- assuming the slots fit and you have the right drivers.

The only likely problem is with Windows. When you change too many parts it may start thinking you have tried to transfer that copy of Windows to a new machine. In that case you'll get warning messages and if you ring Microsoft and have your licence etc handy they will sort it out.

G

Probably he was being ultra cautious so as not to have any comeback in case your computer goes wrong while changing parts.

I swear that Siemens/Fujitsu desktop computers sold by Comet used to have a sticker forbidding the buyer from opening the case on pain of losing the warranty.

The result was that my family member had to take back to Comet a computer which had merely suffered a clogged fan due to carpet fluff -- it took weeks for a Fujitsu engineer to go to Comet and deal with it when doing it oneself would have taken 5 minutes.

G

Below ? Do you mean in contact or just within an inch or so?

The processor heatsink shouldn't get too hot so long as the fan keeps working.

weiquan571

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
huh ? it is under the power supply unit not the cpu .. it is just in contact with the fan but i adjust it to a inch or so already and open the casing because the casing cannot accomodate the heat generated by the video card and psu

G

Sorry -- CPU, PSU (so many acronyms, so little time).

Perhaps the heat and space issues were what the HP guy was warning you about ?

The HP guy was feeding you a line of BS. Take a look at your motherboard specs. As long as you have a PCIe (preferably x16) slot, your motherboard can support all of the newest video cards.

Then you'll want to measure how much room you have in your case to fit the video card. Some are longer than others.

Then you'll need a PSU that can support the added power requirements of the video card.

Solution
G

Opening the case isn't always a good idea because the airflow will be different. For example, the PSU fan will only serve the PSU not the components inside the case.

Have a look at the layout as a whole and apply common sense.

weiquan571

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Opening the case isn't always a good idea because the airflow will be different. For example, the PSU fan will only serve the PSU not the components inside the case.

Have a look at the layout as a whole and apply common sense.
I notice the AirFlow By the fan of the psu Actually sucks in air to the interior of the casing and hence blow hot air inside . The heat would then clog up the whole casing and it would feel very hot just by touching the casing .

G

Yes, some do that but there's usually a second fan which expels that air from the case -- it also serves the other components.

As I say, look at the computer as a whole and use your judgement.

My concern is a conversation with a friend who took the side off his computer and was adamant that this helped as the heat sensor on the case fan showed a lower temperature !!

weiquan571

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

What the .. Mine doesnt does that .! It Blows go in :( Wait a minute sorry i mistaken what u said .. But the opening is not enough to expel the air

weiquan571

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

haha! i agree ! So u recommend me to open the case?

Removing the side of the case may disrupt the designed airflow of the case. But many of these OEM cases are designed with such poor airflow, that removing the side of the case is far superior than the natural airflow. It allows the heat to rise, and exit, as well as cool air to enter.