Windows 7 explorer works no programs will launch

captken

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,

After the latest windows updates (9-22-12), now I cannot launch any program, including outlook, IE, norton or quicken. I can bring up an explorer window, copy and move files, and use the search funtion. I am out of ideas. System restore is useless.

captken

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for any help you can give. Notepad will launch. The evet viewer shows a bunch of log entris for that time. I copied them into notepad and trasferred the text file to a working computer, but it seems to be too big to post here. I got a couple of errors when I tried.

rdc85

Honorable
Well it tought,..... :sweat:

Most temporary solution i found is by restore from backup, system restore, or last known good config...

I will try to reproduce the problems... (strange but my work rig is not affected, i will try again at my home rig)

captken

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for this suggestion. So far I cannot get the install/upgrade to work. I ge and error message after the first reboot and then I am right back in the windows 7 desktop that doesn't work.

I hope I don't have to blow everything up. I I could at least launch Outlook so I could backup all my emails, I would be content.

captken

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Umm.... I appreciate the attempt to help, but I cannot even launch any program. I don't have an issue with progams not recognizing the ile extensions or launching the wrong program. Launcing any kind of program even in error would be an improvement over what I have going on.

captken

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I have tried several times to re-install through the upgrade option on my DVD. It acts like it will work, but then alwas gets an error and I have to restart into the W7 desktop, which is not repaired.

rdc85

Honorable
Last resort..

unplug the hard drives... try in other computer

run a virus/malware scan and disk scan from other computer..

If it's healthy and clean (nothing detected), try to backup the data and reinstall the windows

TRENDING THREADS