Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Well Bob, big figures are good for little games, big figures are good
for big games.

I like both and have around 10,000 28mm figures. For Napoleonics and
ACW multi Corps actions, little figures win hands down. The average
battlefield is going to be 7 miles wide, to fit this on a 12' table
theground scale is going to be 1"=100 yards, the frontage of 1000 men
will be around 60mm. You could fit 3 28mm figures on a 60mm base and
say they represent a 1000 men, but I think that looks silly and prefer
the look of say 40 figures in 3 ranks with a skirmish screen and some
brigade officers out at the front.

Take a look at our recent Austerlitz battle to see what I mean
http://www.wargamesworldforums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=649&PN=1

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Well Bob, big figures are good for little games, little figures are

On 27 Jun 2005 09:28:44 -0700, chris@wargamesworld.com wrote:

>I've just started collecting some ACW armies using the excellent
>Baccus 6mm range. I've put together some quick painting guides which
>you may find useful at :
>http://www.wargamesworld.com/wwnews/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=32
>
>Using these techniques, I painted 660 Baccus figures last week to make
>22 stands of 30 figures, averaging 1 minute per figure!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Chris Abbey
>Wargames World
>http://www.wargamesworld.com

With 6mm figures - you could just use Blue or Grey spray
paint........same level of detail from arms length. Might even cut
your per figure paint time down to under 15 seconds........

To me the "reason" you use miniatures is to see the uniform and its
details - to show a panoramic view of lots of figures on the field of
battle................very small figures - say under 15mm...are just
3-D board games to me...........YMMV

Big Bob Smith

On 27 Jun 2005 14:40:01 -0700, chris@wargamesworld.com wrote:

>Well Bob, big figures are good for little games, big figures are good
>for big games.
>
>I like both and have around 10,000 28mm figures. For Napoleonics and
>ACW multi Corps actions, little figures win hands down. The average
>battlefield is going to be 7 miles wide, to fit this on a 12' table
>theground scale is going to be 1"=100 yards, the frontage of 1000 men
>will be around 60mm. You could fit 3 28mm figures on a 60mm base and
>say they represent a 1000 men, but I think that looks silly and prefer
>the look of say 40 figures in 3 ranks with a skirmish screen and some
>brigade officers out at the front.
>
>Take a look at our recent Austerlitz battle to see what I mean
>http://www.wargamesworldforums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=649&PN=1

I guess then a 1:20 system in 25mm with over 18000 25m figures would
be to your liking ?
Locally here we use a 28' table and play quite a it with
25mm........and from time to time put on convention games with 40' -
50' and even a few times 80' tables......
The last game we did had almost 14000 figs 25mm figs in a single
game.........of course we do play smaller battles too :)

Big Bob Smith

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Bob,

The problem is one of ground scale, while you are of course very lucky
to have 14,000 25mm figures and an 80' table to play with them on,
99.999% of gamers don't.

You can of course make the table wider and wider, but we are limited by
our anatomy to a depth of around 6'. Our current demo game is
Austerlitz, as I mentioned
http://www.wargamesworldforums­.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=649&P­N=1 and
we have put together some pretty accurate terrain for it. We took the
actual contour maps and drew them out on our terrain boards to scale to
get every contour line, river etc. completely accurate. Even at our
ground scale of 1" = 100 yards we had to make a compromise. The scale
battlefield should have been 12' wide by 9' wide, as no one could reach
4 1/2' we had to compress the depth by 80% down to 6'.

If we'd made an 80' wide model of Austerlitz the table depth would have
needed to be 60'! which would be very difficult to game on. In most
periods, depth of position and grand strategic manouvers require depth
as well as width which is why I personally believe that to get a
realistic game you need to start with the ground scale, use that to
define the size of your bases and then decorate the bases with figures
to your personal taste.

Your 18000 figure game does sound like an impressive spectacle, do you
have some photos of it on a web site somewhere?

Chris Abbey
Wargames World
http://www.wargamesworld.com

On 29 Jun 2005 01:52:07 -0700, chris@wargamesworld.com wrote:

>Hi Bob,
>
>The problem is one of ground scale, while you are of course very lucky
>to have 14,000 25mm figures and an 80' table to play with them on,
>99.999% of gamers don't.
>
>You can of course make the table wider and wider, but we are limited by
>our anatomy to a depth of around 6'. Our current demo game is
>Austerlitz, as I mentioned
>http://www.wargamesworldforums­.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=649&P­N=1 and
>we have put together some pretty accurate terrain for it. We took the
>actual contour maps and drew them out on our terrain boards to scale to
>get every contour line, river etc. completely accurate. Even at our
>ground scale of 1" = 100 yards we had to make a compromise. The scale
>battlefield should have been 12' wide by 9' wide, as no one could reach
>4 1/2' we had to compress the depth by 80% down to 6'.
>
>If we'd made an 80' wide model of Austerlitz the table depth would have
>needed to be 60'! which would be very difficult to game on. In most
>periods, depth of position and grand strategic manouvers require depth
>as well as width which is why I personally believe that to get a
>realistic game you need to start with the ground scale, use that to
>define the size of your bases and then decorate the bases with figures
>to your personal taste.
>
>Your 18000 figure game does sound like an impressive spectacle, do you
>have some photos of it on a web site somewhere?
>
>Chris Abbey
>Wargames World
>http://www.wargamesworld.com

Chris

I meant no offense to your original comments..........reality vs
playability - one always suffers to interject us humans into a
simulation. We 'generally" try to stick to a 7' wide table for most
games as this is the maximum most normal folks can reach halfway
across.....on larger games we turn tables sideways and run a few long
ways for "wider" parts......

Our local club has been gaming 25's for almost 30 yrs with the "core"
5 players unchanged over that time..........always a good way to build
up alot of figs.......

One of the local game clubs has a web site with a few of the small
game pictures on it [One day mini-cons - so the games are also "mini"]

>http://www.jacksonvillegarrison.com/Gallery/GamesDayPost.html

As for the larger games - I am not a photographer by any means -
lacking both equipment and talent for such a task. I can see if I can
get my hands on some with the most recent game done in Orlando a few
weeks back......

Big Bob Smith

Thanks for the useful info Chris. 6mm is a very viable scale for
playing the big battles of the horse & musket era. I have over 2,500
Baccus ACW figures and they are really great. The "Battle Cry" system
makes for fast, furious and fun games too. Is that the Kallistra hex
terrain system that you are using for your game board?