MS-Dos in XP

I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP. I
can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
Can someone help me please? Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Windows XP does not use autoexec.bat or config.sys. It simulates MS-DOS
    environment using files config.nt and autoexec.nt.

    If want to run something on the startup, place it in the startup menu instead.

    --
    JonyBrv

    "Smokingpipe" wrote:

    > I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
    > go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
    > turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP. I
    > can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
    > Can someone help me please? Thanks

    Hi

    Try adding to the autoexec.nt and config.nt files - in the
    %systemroot%\system32 folder.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Smokingpipe" <Smokingpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you
    >can
    > go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM,
    > turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP.
    > can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
    > Can someone help me please? Thanks

    Interlnk/Intersvr "may" not work since XP, like NT and 2000, does not use
    DOS nor does it provide direct hardware access for these to work.

    "Smokingpipe" <Smokingpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you
    >can
    > go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM,
    > turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP.
    > can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
    > Can someone help me please? Thanks

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:37:11 -0700, "Smokingpipe"
    <Smokingpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
    >go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
    >turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP. I
    >can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
    >Can someone help me please? Thanks

    You can change the prompt in Control/System/Advanced Environmental
    Variables.

    Not totally true.

    XP will look at Autoexec.bat if ParseAutoexec is set to 1.

    The only lines in Autoexec.bat that Windows XP will read are the lines that
    begin with SET or PATH. If ParseAutoexec is set to 1.

    When this value is enabled the variables listed in the Autoexec.bat file
    will be parsed and included in the current user environment.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Value Name: ParseAutoexec
    Data Type: REG_SZ
    Data: 0 or 1
    0 : Ignores Autoexec.bat at logon.
    1 : Parses Autoexec.bat at logon.

    This has no effect on the parsing of AUTOEXEC.NT or CONFIG.NT by the MS-DOS
    or 16-bit Windows environments (VDMs).

    Read Environment Variables in Autoexec.bat File

    Also see this...
    How do I check for duplicate path entries?
    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4700/rh4770.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2F325524-5F77-4FBE-94EA-30618E2DBD01@microsoft.com,
    Jonybrv <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Smokingpipe wrote:
    > I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
    > go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
    > turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP.

    The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical operating systems, of which WinXP
    is the latest generation, has never used, included, or "ridden upon"
    MS-DOS. The Recovery Console's CLI (Command Line Interface) is the
    closest you can come to the old "DOS mode."

    WinXP doesn't use AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS. The empty files are
    present simply to provide some backwards compatibility with legacy
    applications.

    To set environmental variables, Right-Click My Computer >
    Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables > System Variables/New
    (or Edit, as applicable). You can also add the appropriate line(s) to
    C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt and/or C:\Windows\System32 Config.nt.

    > can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
    > Can someone help me please? Thanks

    WinXP's "startup" applications are determined either by entries in the
    registry, or shortcuts placed in the various "C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folders.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "" wrote:
    > Windows XP does not use autoexec.bat or config.sys. It
    > simulates MS-DOS
    > environment using files config.nt and autoexec.nt.
    >
    > If want to run something on the startup, place it in the
    > startup menu instead.
    >

    > --
    > JonyBrv
    >

    > "Smokingpipe" wrote:
    >
    > > I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT &
    > CONFIG.SYS where you can
    > > go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr
    > (and use REM, to
    > > turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I
    > find this in XP. I
    > > can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its
    > programs up from.
    > > Can someone help me please? Thanks

    "It simulates MS-DOS" it dose not, it just so happens that it has a
    command prompt (or shell console) that happens to have the same
    commands, DOSBox is how ever a simulator (or emulator) of MS-DOS.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-MS-Dos-XP-ftopict398659.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1316259

MS-DOS Windows XP