MS-Dos in XP

July 21, 2005 2:37:11 AM

I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP. I
can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
Can someone help me please? Thanks

More about : dos

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:53:02 AM

Windows XP does not use autoexec.bat or config.sys. It simulates MS-DOS
environment using files config.nt and autoexec.nt.

If want to run something on the startup, place it in the startup menu instead.

--
JonyBrv

"Smokingpipe" wrote:

> I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
> go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
> turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP. I
> can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
> Can someone help me please? Thanks
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:47:48 AM

Hi

Try adding to the autoexec.nt and config.nt files - in the
%systemroot%\system32 folder.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Smokingpipe" <Smokingpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you
>can
> go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM,
> turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP.
> can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
> Can someone help me please? Thanks
July 21, 2005 2:16:59 PM

Interlnk/Intersvr "may" not work since XP, like NT and 2000, does not use
DOS nor does it provide direct hardware access for these to work.

"Smokingpipe" <Smokingpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you
>can
> go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM,
> turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP.
> can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
> Can someone help me please? Thanks
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:08:24 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:37:11 -0700, "Smokingpipe"
<Smokingpipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
>go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
>turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP. I
>can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
>Can someone help me please? Thanks

You can change the prompt in Control/System/Advanced Environmental
Variables.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:05:54 PM

Not totally true.

XP will look at Autoexec.bat if ParseAutoexec is set to 1.

The only lines in Autoexec.bat that Windows XP will read are the lines that
begin with SET or PATH. If ParseAutoexec is set to 1.

When this value is enabled the variables listed in the Autoexec.bat file
will be parsed and included in the current user environment.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Value Name: ParseAutoexec
Data Type: REG_SZ
Data: 0 or 1
0 : Ignores Autoexec.bat at logon.
1 : Parses Autoexec.bat at logon.

This has no effect on the parsing of AUTOEXEC.NT or CONFIG.NT by the MS-DOS
or 16-bit Windows environments (VDMs).

Read Environment Variables in Autoexec.bat File

Also see this...
How do I check for duplicate path entries?
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4700/rh4770.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2F325524-5F77-4FBE-94EA-30618E2DBD01@microsoft.com,
Jonybrv <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Windows XP does not use autoexec.bat or config.sys. It simulates MS-DOS
> environment using files config.nt and autoexec.nt.
>
> If want to run something on the startup, place it in the startup menu
> instead.
>

> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "Smokingpipe" wrote:
>
>> I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where
>> you can go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and
>> use REM, to turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I
>> find this in XP. I can't figure this out and don't know where XP start
>> its programs up from. Can someone help me please? Thanks
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:50:18 PM

Smokingpipe wrote:
> I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS where you can
> go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr (and use REM, to
> turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I find this in XP.

The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical operating systems, of which WinXP
is the latest generation, has never used, included, or "ridden upon"
MS-DOS. The Recovery Console's CLI (Command Line Interface) is the
closest you can come to the old "DOS mode."

WinXP doesn't use AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS. The empty files are
present simply to provide some backwards compatibility with legacy
applications.

To set environmental variables, Right-Click My Computer >
Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables > System Variables/New
(or Edit, as applicable). You can also add the appropriate line(s) to
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt and/or C:\Windows\System32 Config.nt.

> can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its programs up from.
> Can someone help me please? Thanks

WinXP's "startup" applications are determined either by entries in the
registry, or shortcuts placed in the various "C:\Documents and
Settings\Username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folders.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 22, 2005 11:36:52 PM

"" wrote:
> Windows XP does not use autoexec.bat or config.sys. It
> simulates MS-DOS
> environment using files config.nt and autoexec.nt.
>
> If want to run something on the startup, place it in the
> startup menu instead.
>

> --
> JonyBrv
>

> "Smokingpipe" wrote:
>
> > I now MS-Dos well in 95 & 98. It has AUTOEXEC.BAT &
> CONFIG.SYS where you can
> > go into and change things. I like to add Interlnk/Intersvr
> (and use REM, to
> > turn it off) and change the Prompt, ect.. Where would I
> find this in XP. I
> > can't figure this out and don't know where XP start its
> programs up from.
> > Can someone help me please? Thanks

"It simulates MS-DOS" it dose not, it just so happens that it has a
command prompt (or shell console) that happens to have the same
commands, DOSBox is how ever a simulator (or emulator) of MS-DOS.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-MS-Dos-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1316259
!