New KB Article: How to ask a question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

PA Bear wrote:
> "This article is a loose how-to guide for correct forum and newsgroup
> question-asking and general netiquette."
>
> How to ask a question
> by Daniel Petri, MS MVP-Exchange (?)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555372 (19
> Jul-05)

"After posting a question to a professional forum or newsgroup"

That already assumes way too much as many of those posting here looking
for some sort of answer don't actually ask an effin' question!

Also there needs to be a definitions section. I really want to see an
exact definition of "RTFM" on MS's website! ;-)

Otherwise pretty cool! Here is a shorter link to the KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB555372

"Google is your best friend" in a MS KB article! ROFL!

--
Peace!
Kurt

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It's not good enough. What is needed is the moron interface needs to
structure the question.

Something like this

General Description of Problem
e.g. Messenger doesn't start

List Steps to Duplicate Problem
e.g. Click Start, click All Programs, Click Windows Messenger

What actually Happened
e.g. Nothing, Messenger didn't appear to start

What Did You Expect To Happen
e.g. That messenger open with a window to type in

Did Windows Come Preinstalled? If so what Brand and Model is the
computer?
e.g. Yes, Dell XYZ

Obviously different templetes suit different problems. There could be a
menu for Blue Screen templates, usage templates, program error
templates, etc.