Please help choosing a DVD writer

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I am getting a new pc from DELL and would like to get a DVD writer but I am confused with all different terms like

(A) DVD+RW
(B) DVD-RW etc.
(C) DVD RW

(1)Which kind should I get that would read write both CDs and DVDs?

(2) What does dual layer mean and how important is it to get?

(3)If I get dual layer then do I need a dual layer DVD discs?

(4) What is the fastest DVD writer available and does speed 16X mean the same on both CD & DVD writers? OR How much time would it take for a 16X DVD writer to write a single layer and a dual layer DVD?

Thank You,
Greg

pat

Expert
1-All of them would read and write both CD and DVD. If you can, get a dual format for better compatibility (DVD +/-RW)
2- means 2 layers. It can write twice as much data as a single layer.
3-Yes, but you can still burn single layer with a dual layer drive
4-16x,no. depend of the media. 8x burn in about 8 minutes here. I guess that 16X should be arounf 5-6 minutes. I dont know about dual layer time, but I guess that they will be double of single layer for same speed.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Get the Plextor 716SA. Good price, best unit out there and good software and warranty included.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Rich,
Just curious on why you would recommend the Plextor 716SA, due to it being for SATA not reg IDE. As far as I know there isn't much of a diference in MB/s transfers, or is there?
I "normally" use SATA channel's for HDD's (Raid, Mirroring and that such). I have yet to find a review that actually gives numbers or figures to the effect that the SA drive performs better than the A drive.
I look forward to hearing back from the forum on this issue.

Cordially,

Gemguy

Equal is equal, or is it?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/31/05 10:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
Either the 716SA or 716A whichever you have available. Just the SA model was in my head when I typed reply, didn't put much thought in whether EIDE or SATA applied on his particular mobo.
I just think that Plextor model is one of the better ones in quality and ease of use.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>