How to recover from failed repair install?

July 21, 2005 3:49:46 AM

Hi,
I was following some brief instructions for a repair install of XP
Home. At the stage where I was hoping to choose "repair" this choice
wasn't available and the process stepped into re-install mode. I think
this may be because the installation CD is an OEM version. I jumped out
right there, before the process got under way. Now, when I boot the
computer I get asked to insert the XP Home CD, so the installation can
complete. Using a DOS file manager I can see that the previous setup
hasn't been wiped. Please can anyone tell me how to get back to where I
was before I started the re-install process?

Regards,
Lila Duncan
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:08:15 AM

Lila;
You should not have jumped out.
A current installation would have been seen and then you would be given the
option for a Repair Installation.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I was following some brief instructions for a repair install of XP
> Home. At the stage where I was hoping to choose "repair" this choice
> wasn't available and the process stepped into re-install mode. I think
> this may be because the installation CD is an OEM version. I jumped out
> right there, before the process got under way. Now, when I boot the
> computer I get asked to insert the XP Home CD, so the installation can
> complete. Using a DOS file manager I can see that the previous setup
> hasn't been wiped. Please can anyone tell me how to get back to where I
> was before I started the re-install process?
>
> Regards,
> Lila Duncan
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:05:50 AM

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Lila;
> You should not have jumped out.
> A current installation would have been seen and then you would be given the
> option for a Repair Installation.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Thanks very much for the advice. I suppose I was a little too nervous
of losing the custom data in the current installation. When I tried
some further reading
I was informed that OEM CD's didn't allow for the "Repair" option.
Perhaps I'm just too careful. :-)

Regards,
lila Duncan

> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I was following some brief instructions for a repair install of XP
> > Home. At the stage where I was hoping to choose "repair" this choice
> > wasn't available and the process stepped into re-install mode. I think
> > this may be because the installation CD is an OEM version. I jumped out
> > right there, before the process got under way. Now, when I boot the
> > computer I get asked to insert the XP Home CD, so the installation can
> > complete. Using a DOS file manager I can see that the previous setup
> > hasn't been wiped. Please can anyone tell me how to get back to where I
> > was before I started the re-install process?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Lila Duncan
July 21, 2005 6:12:49 PM

Lila;
Some OEM CDs do and some don't.
If you have the generic OEM Windows XP often sold with a piece of hardware,
Repair Installation is an option.
Otherwise contact the computer manufacturer for details.

--

> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>> Lila;
>> You should not have jumped out.
>> A current installation would have been seen and then you would be given
>> the
>> option for a Repair Installation.
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
>
> Thanks very much for the advice. I suppose I was a little too nervous
> of losing the custom data in the current installation. When I tried
> some further reading
> I was informed that OEM CD's didn't allow for the "Repair" option.
> Perhaps I'm just too careful. :-)
>
> Regards,
> lila Duncan
>

>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I was following some brief instructions for a repair install of XP
>> > Home. At the stage where I was hoping to choose "repair" this choice
>> > wasn't available and the process stepped into re-install mode. I think
>> > this may be because the installation CD is an OEM version. I jumped out
>> > right there, before the process got under way. Now, when I boot the
>> > computer I get asked to insert the XP Home CD, so the installation can
>> > complete. Using a DOS file manager I can see that the previous setup
>> > hasn't been wiped. Please can anyone tell me how to get back to where I
>> > was before I started the re-install process?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Lila Duncan

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:53:32 PM

In news:1121928585.997914.184360@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
LilaDuncan <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> replied with a ;-)
> Hi,
> I was following some brief instructions for a repair install of XP
> Home. At the stage where I was hoping to choose "repair" this choice
> wasn't available and the process stepped into re-install mode. I think
> this may be because the installation CD is an OEM version. I jumped
> out right there, before the process got under way. Now, when I boot
> the computer I get asked to insert the XP Home CD, so the
> installation can complete. Using a DOS file manager I can see that
> the previous setup hasn't been wiped. Please can anyone tell me how
> to get back to where I was before I started the re-install process?
>
> Regards,
> Lila Duncan

Repair Install

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP