Sign in with
Your question

Looking to buy a new laptop / notebook

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 16, 2009 5:47:05 PM

1_What is your budget?
I'm looking to spend about $2-3K

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Possibly 17 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want?
16:9

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Looking for something portable and light weight

5_How much battery life do you need?
At least 5 hours?

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Would like to play games on high resolution... Anything that will run a Crysis based gaming engine?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Will be mainly work related stuff, and web browsing, however I would still like the option of playing high end graphic type games as well

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Anywhere from 250 - 500 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Open to suggestions

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years life would be good

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
Thin and light weight. With a nice dynamic screen.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I was looking at the HP Pavillion's maybe a dv7? Not really too sure as I have just started looking maybe the Asus W90vp?

13_What country do you live in?
Australia

More about : buy laptop notebook

a b D Laptop
September 16, 2009 6:05:13 PM

There are a couple of contradictions there, lol. 17'' laptops are hardly ever going to be thin and light, especially ones that have the ability to play Crysis on high. Nor will a system with that kind of ability get anywhere close to 5 hours of battery life.

The HP dv7t and it's HD4650 will play Crysis, but at medium to low settings.

The Asus W90 will definitely play Crysis on high, but at 11 lbs doesn't fall under the thin and light category, lol. And it will only net you about 1.5 hrs of battery life with a gigantic 12-cell battery.

A couple of others to look at:
Asus G71: http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g71gxa1-p-2591.html?wconfig...

Sager NP5797: http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=1...

You unfortunately have to pick between two options:
1) Ability to play games at high settings, but only get about 2 hours of battery life
or
2) Get 5 hours of battery life, but sacrifice gaming performance.
September 16, 2009 7:16:52 PM

A few years back I bought a gaming laptop. It was okay but really it is never a good idea.

I would suggest you keep a desktop for heavy gaming and just get a notebook witha discrete gfx card capable of some light gaming.
!