bill

I posted this problem as part of another post but got no response to this
problem. So I'll try again....I'm running XP Pro SP2 fully updated, Dell
Optiplex GX100, 700 MHz Celeron Processor, 320 MB RAM, SBLive soundcard,
GeForce MX 400 vid card with 64 MB memory. The problem I have happens
totally at random..if I have a few programs running, for example right now I
have the problem and what I have running is Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger,
Norton AV 2005, 2 IE windows and WMP 10. I notice the problem occurs when I
try to click a non-active but open window of any kind, it will not pop up to
the foreground and become active. I have My computer and documents etc. set
to be a menu, and if I click the start menu no menus will open at all,
sometimes the frequently used programs list turns black. I can click on any
of the things I have set to be manus and they will open in an explorer
window, but if i click on the run, search or help and support center buttons
a message pops up saying "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Would you
like the shortcut placed on the desktop instead?" If i reboot the problem
goes away until next time.. I have no viruses or trojans according to NAV
and MSAS. Hopefully I explained this well enough. Any idea what could be
causing this? Any and all help is appreciated.

Tim

"Random" is the problem here. You need to try to figure out if there is
something in common. Like it always happens if program "X" is running.

Run your computer in Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs.

Update your video drivers.

Get Lavasoft's adaware and/or Microsoft's Anti-Spyware check for Spyware.

"Bill" wrote:

> I posted this problem as part of another post but got no response to this
> problem. So I'll try again....I'm running XP Pro SP2 fully updated, Dell
> Optiplex GX100, 700 MHz Celeron Processor, 320 MB RAM, SBLive soundcard,
> GeForce MX 400 vid card with 64 MB memory. The problem I have happens
> totally at random..if I have a few programs running, for example right now I
> have the problem and what I have running is Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger,
> Norton AV 2005, 2 IE windows and WMP 10. I notice the problem occurs when I
> try to click a non-active but open window of any kind, it will not pop up to
> the foreground and become active. I have My computer and documents etc. set
> to be a menu, and if I click the start menu no menus will open at all,
> sometimes the frequently used programs list turns black. I can click on any
> of the things I have set to be manus and they will open in an explorer
> window, but if i click on the run, search or help and support center buttons
> a message pops up saying "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Would you
> like the shortcut placed on the desktop instead?" If i reboot the problem
> goes away until next time.. I have no viruses or trojans according to NAV
> and MSAS. Hopefully I explained this well enough. Any idea what could be
> causing this? Any and all help is appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS