Local Administrator

Hi,

Can someone let me know how to configure a Windows 2003 domain user as a
local administrator on a XP Professional client. I have set the same user ID
up for the user on the local PC with administrator rights and when I log into
the PC locally this works fine. When I log into the PC as a domain user the
user has user rights and not local Administrator.

I have been trying to do this for days and some help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil
14 answers Last reply
More about local administrator

    It sounds like you created a local user,
    You need to go to Users and Groups in compute management, go to groups,
    select administrators, click add, and then change The Computer Name at the
    top to the name of your domain, and then browse through the list there until
    you find the user you want to add.
    "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone let me know how to configure a Windows 2003 domain user as a
    > local administrator on a XP Professional client. I have set the same user
    ID
    > up for the user on the local PC with administrator rights and when I log
    into
    > the PC locally this works fine. When I log into the PC as a domain user
    the
    > user has user rights and not local Administrator.
    >
    > I have been trying to do this for days and some help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil

    Dave,

    Thanks for quick reply. I have tried your suggestion (on my PC as
    Administrator) but I don't have the domain available in the Locations
    selection - only my PC. I suspect this means there is a more fundamental
    problem.

    Neil

    "Dave Cooper" wrote:

    > It sounds like you created a local user,
    > You need to go to Users and Groups in compute management, go to groups,
    > select administrators, click add, and then change The Computer Name at the
    > top to the name of your domain, and then browse through the list there until
    > you find the user you want to add.
    > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can someone let me know how to configure a Windows 2003 domain user as a
    > > local administrator on a XP Professional client. I have set the same user
    > ID
    > > up for the user on the local PC with administrator rights and when I log
    > into
    > > the PC locally this works fine. When I log into the PC as a domain user
    > the
    > > user has user rights and not local Administrator.
    > >
    > > I have been trying to do this for days and some help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Neil

    Is the PC actually a member of the domain, it would need to be to add the
    domain user,
    > Dave,
    >
    > Thanks for quick reply. I have tried your suggestion (on my PC as
    > Administrator) but I don't have the domain available in the Locations
    > selection - only my PC. I suspect this means there is a more fundamental
    > problem.
    >
    > Neil
    >
    > "Dave Cooper" wrote:
    >
    > > It sounds like you created a local user,
    > > You need to go to Users and Groups in compute management, go to groups,
    > > select administrators, click add, and then change The Computer Name at
    the
    > > top to the name of your domain, and then browse through the list there
    until
    > > you find the user you want to add.
    > > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Can someone let me know how to configure a Windows 2003 domain user as
    > > > local administrator on a XP Professional client. I have set the same
    user
    > > ID
    > > > up for the user on the local PC with administrator rights and when I
    log
    > > into
    > > > the PC locally this works fine. When I log into the PC as a domain
    user
    > > the
    > > > user has user rights and not local Administrator.
    > > >
    > > > I have been trying to do this for days and some help would be
    appreciated.

    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Neil

    I'm logged onto the domain as an Administrator (e.g. the Domain name is in
    the bottom box in the login form) and can see the domain in My Network
    Places. I can't understand why it is not offered in the Locations option.

    Neil

    "Dave Cooper" wrote:

    > Is the PC actually a member of the domain, it would need to be to add the
    > domain user,
    > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Dave,
    > >
    > > Thanks for quick reply. I have tried your suggestion (on my PC as
    > > Administrator) but I don't have the domain available in the Locations
    > > selection - only my PC. I suspect this means there is a more fundamental
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Neil
    > >
    > > "Dave Cooper" wrote:
    > >
    > > > It sounds like you created a local user,
    > > > You need to go to Users and Groups in compute management, go to groups,
    > > > select administrators, click add, and then change The Computer Name at
    > the
    > > > top to the name of your domain, and then browse through the list there
    > until
    > > > you find the user you want to add.
    > > > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message

    > user
    > > > ID
    > log
    > > > into
    > user
    > > > the

    > appreciated.

    Also, from the server when I try to manage users on the local box (via Manage
    Computer in Server Management) and select Users I get "Access is Denied".

    I suspect this might be relevant.

    Neil

    "Dave Cooper" <dave.cooper@instem-lss.com> wrote in message
    > Is the PC actually a member of the domain, it would need to be to add the
    > domain user,

    Logging in the domain and joining the computer to the domain are not the
    same thing. Check in Active Directory to see if the computer is listed.

    Kerry

    > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> Thanks for quick reply. I have tried your suggestion (on my PC as
    >> Administrator) but I don't have the domain available in the Locations
    >> selection - only my PC. I suspect this means there is a more fundamental
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >>
    >> "Dave Cooper" wrote:
    >>
    >> > It sounds like you created a local user,
    >> > You need to go to Users and Groups in compute management, go to groups,
    >> > select administrators, click add, and then change The Computer Name at
    > the
    >> > top to the name of your domain, and then browse through the list there
    > until
    >> > you find the user you want to add.
    >> > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message

    > user
    >> > ID
    > log
    >> > into
    > user
    >> > the

    > appreciated.

    Kerry,

    Thanks for comment. Computer is listed in Active Directory on the server.

    Neil

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > "Dave Cooper" <dave.cooper@instem-lss.com> wrote in message
    > > Is the PC actually a member of the domain, it would need to be to add the
    > > domain user,
    >
    > Logging in the domain and joining the computer to the domain are not the
    > same thing. Check in Active Directory to see if the computer is listed.
    >
    > Kerry
    >

    > > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message
    > >> Dave,
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for quick reply. I have tried your suggestion (on my PC as
    > >> Administrator) but I don't have the domain available in the Locations
    > >> selection - only my PC. I suspect this means there is a more fundamental
    > >> problem.
    > >>
    > >> Neil

    > > the
    > > until
    > > message

    > > user
    > > log
    > > user

    > > appreciated.

    You could try removing it from the domain, and then rejoining it,
    > Kerry,
    >
    > Thanks for comment. Computer is listed in Active Directory on the server.
    >
    > Neil
    >
    > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >
    > > "Dave Cooper" <dave.cooper@instem-lss.com> wrote in message
    > > > Is the PC actually a member of the domain, it would need to be to add
    the
    > > > domain user,
    > >
    > > Logging in the domain and joining the computer to the domain are not the
    > > same thing. Check in Active Directory to see if the computer is listed.
    > >
    > > Kerry
    > >

    > > > "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > > message

    > > > the
    > > > until
    > > > message

    > > > user
    > > > log
    > > > user

    > > > appreciated.

    Tried this. I suspect I need some on-site support. Thanks to everyone for
    efforts...

    Neil

    > Tried this. I suspect I need some on-site support. Thanks to everyone for
    > efforts...
    >
    > Neil

    You are going about it from the wrong angle. In local computers and groups
    open Administrators, then click on add. Change the location to the domain.
    Add the domain user e.g. DOMAIN\domain_user or even DOMAIN\domain_group. You
    need to add the domain user to the local administrator group.

    Kerry

    > "Dave Cooper" wrote:
    >
    >> You could try removing it from the domain, and then rejoining it,
    >> "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > Kerry,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for comment. Computer is listed in Active Directory on the
    >> > server.
    >> >
    >> > Neil

    >> the

    >> fundamental

    >> groups,
    >> at
    >> there

    >> user
    >> same
    >> when I
    >> domain

    Kerry,

    I have tried this but the domain is not offered in the Locations selection
    and if I type it in (e.g. DOMAIN\USER) , it is rejected.

    Neil

    > Kerry,
    >
    > I have tried this but the domain is not offered in the Locations selection
    > and if I type it in (e.g. DOMAIN\USER) , it is rejected.
    >
    > Neil

    It may be a DNS problem then. Logging on and accessing shares can be done
    through NETBIOS but I believe accessing AD to get user and group info may
    need DNS.

    Kerry

    > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >
    >> "Neurosoft Neil" <NeurosoftNeil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > Tried this. I suspect I need some on-site support. Thanks to everyone
    >> > for
    >> > efforts...
    >> >
    >> > Neil
    >> >

    >> You are going about it from the wrong angle. In local computers and
    >> groups
    >> open Administrators, then click on add. Change the location to the
    >> domain.
    >> Add the domain user e.g. DOMAIN\domain_user or even DOMAIN\domain_group.
    >> You
    >> need to add the domain user to the local administrator group.
    >>
    >> Kerry

    Kerry,

    You may be right. We have a complicated DNS infrastructure and I wouldn't be
    surprised if this was the cause. I will look into and report. Thansk for your
    help.

    Neil

    > Kerry,
    >
    > You may be right. We have a complicated DNS infrastructure and I wouldn't
    > be
    > surprised if this was the cause. I will look into and report. Thansk for
    > your
    > help.
    >
    > Neil

    Your welcome. Hope you find the answer. Let us know.

    Kerry

Windows Server 2003 Domain Windows XP