Registry

July 21, 2005 5:58:23 AM

i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to make my
boot up faster.
i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
pls suggest

More about : registry

July 21, 2005 9:22:45 AM

Shingooooo wrote:
> i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to
> make my boot up faster.
> i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
> pls suggest

Cleaning the registry out will not help speed up your boot time.XP does not
use the registry like the older operating systems do,(scanning from begining
to end,and old entrys taking up time).You might get a faster boot by
disableing programs that are not needed from starting at bootup,but if you
really want a cleaning tool here ya go:
jv16 powertools
http://pricelessware.org/thelist/sys.htm#Registry:%20Cl...
DO NOT update this,it is the last free version and updating will kill the
program unless you pay for it.
--
Mike Pawlak
July 21, 2005 9:33:33 AM

RegCleaner on the same page is from the same person as jv16 but does not
show operating system entrys only programs that you have installed if you
are new at this it would be a better choice,at least you will still be able
to boot your system if you mess up!

--
Mike Pawlak

MAP wrote:
> Shingooooo wrote:
>> i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to
>> make my boot up faster.
>> i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
>> pls suggest
>
> Cleaning the registry out will not help speed up your boot time.XP
> does not use the registry like the older operating systems
> do,(scanning from begining to end,and old entrys taking up time).You
> might get a faster boot by disableing programs that are not needed
> from starting at bootup,but if you really want a cleaning tool here
> ya go:
> jv16 powertools
> http://pricelessware.org/thelist/sys.htm#Registry:%20Cl...
> DO NOT update this,it is the last free version and updating will kill
> the program unless you pay for it.

--
Mike Pawlak
July 21, 2005 3:46:08 PM

In news:D D0939BC-B1FE-45CD-8599-F82079E24E69@microsoft.com,
Shingooooo <Shingooooo@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry
> make my boot up faster.
> i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my
> windows2000.
> pls suggest

My suggestion is to avoid *all* registry cleaning tools. they are
much more likely to *cause* a problem than to solve one.

Besides, my personal view is that the attention many people pay
to how long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the
computer's speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth
worrying about. Most people start their computers once a day or
even less frequently. In the overall scheme of things, even a few
minutes to start up isn't very important. Personally I power on
my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get my coffee.
When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it
took to boot and I don't care.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 21, 2005 4:43:47 PM

Shingooooo wrote:
> i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to make my
> boot up faster.
> i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
> pls suggest

hhere's a free program that can clean out the registry
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html

--
Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.

I agree that you want to stay away from "regclean" type of products. On the
other hand, I like the ability to manage what items load when my system
starts.
I like to use "Startup Control Panel" http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
It lets you undo the changes that you have made so you can experiment to
determine what item your system really needs.
Bob

> In news:D D0939BC-B1FE-45CD-8599-F82079E24E69@microsoft.com,
> Shingooooo <Shingooooo@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to
>> make my boot up faster.
>> i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
>> pls suggest
>

> My suggestion is to avoid *all* registry cleaning tools. they are much
> more likely to *cause* a problem than to solve one.
>
> Besides, my personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
> long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed
> is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about. Most people
> start their computers once a day or even less frequently. In the overall
> scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up isn't very important.
> Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the morning, then go
> get my coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long
> it took to boot and I don't care.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:07:07 PM

In news:uaWbkdijFHA.2792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Bob G <rgil@noway.com> typed:

> I agree that you want to stay away from "regclean" type of
> products.
> On the other hand, I like the ability to manage what items load
> when
> my system starts.

Absolutely! Don't let something start automatically unless it's
something you know you want to start automatically.

> I like to use "Startup Control Panel"
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml It lets you undo the
> changes
> that you have made so you can experiment to determine what item
> your
> system really needs.

There are many ways to do this, and that's a good one.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:D D0939BC-B1FE-45CD-8599-F82079E24E69@microsoft.com,
>> Shingooooo <Shingooooo@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless
>>> registry to
>>> make my boot up faster.
>>> i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my
>>> windows2000.
>>> pls suggest
>>

>> My suggestion is to avoid *all* registry cleaning tools. they
>> are
>> much more likely to *cause* a problem than to solve one.
>>
>> Besides, my personal view is that the attention many people
>> pay to
>> how long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the
>> computer's speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be
>> worth
>> worrying about. Most people start their computers once a day
>> or even
>> less frequently. In the overall scheme of things, even a few
>> minutes
>> to start up isn't very important. Personally I power on my
>> computer
>> when I get up in the morning, then go get my coffee. When I
>> come
>> back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it took to boot
>> and I
>> don't care. --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:54:29 PM

Shingooooo wrote:
> i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to make my
> boot up faster.
> i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
> pls suggest

What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user.

The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability.

I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm