Registry

i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to make my
boot up faster.
i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
pls suggest
7 answers Last reply
More about registry

    Shingooooo wrote:
    > i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to
    > make my boot up faster.
    > i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
    > pls suggest

    Cleaning the registry out will not help speed up your boot time.XP does not
    use the registry like the older operating systems do,(scanning from begining
    to end,and old entrys taking up time).You might get a faster boot by
    disableing programs that are not needed from starting at bootup,but if you
    really want a cleaning tool here ya go:
    jv16 powertools
    http://pricelessware.org/thelist/sys.htm#Registry:%20Cleaner
    DO NOT update this,it is the last free version and updating will kill the
    program unless you pay for it.
    --
    Mike Pawlak

    RegCleaner on the same page is from the same person as jv16 but does not
    show operating system entrys only programs that you have installed if you
    are new at this it would be a better choice,at least you will still be able
    to boot your system if you mess up!

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    In news:DD0939BC-B1FE-45CD-8599-F82079E24E69@microsoft.com,
    Shingooooo <Shingooooo@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry
    > make my boot up faster.
    > i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my
    > windows2000.
    > pls suggest

    My suggestion is to avoid *all* registry cleaning tools. they are
    much more likely to *cause* a problem than to solve one.

    Besides, my personal view is that the attention many people pay
    to how long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the
    computer's speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth
    worrying about. Most people start their computers once a day or
    even less frequently. In the overall scheme of things, even a few
    minutes to start up isn't very important. Personally I power on
    my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get my coffee.
    When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it
    took to boot and I don't care.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Shingooooo wrote:
    > i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to make my
    > boot up faster.
    > i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
    > pls suggest

    hhere's a free program that can clean out the registry
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html

    --
    Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
    Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.

    I agree that you want to stay away from "regclean" type of products. On the
    other hand, I like the ability to manage what items load when my system
    starts.
    I like to use "Startup Control Panel" http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    It lets you undo the changes that you have made so you can experiment to
    determine what item your system really needs.
    Bob

    In news:uaWbkdijFHA.2792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Bob G <rgil@noway.com> typed:

    > I agree that you want to stay away from "regclean" type of
    > products.
    > On the other hand, I like the ability to manage what items load
    > when
    > my system starts.

    Absolutely! Don't let something start automatically unless it's
    something you know you want to start automatically.

    > I like to use "Startup Control Panel"
    > http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml It lets you undo the
    > changes
    > that you have made so you can experiment to determine what item
    > your
    > system really needs.

    There are many ways to do this, and that's a good one.

    Shingooooo wrote:
    > i am looking for registry tool to remove some useless registry to make my
    > boot up faster.
    > i find regclean, but it seems to old for running on my windows2000.
    > pls suggest

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

Windows 2000 Registry Microsoft Windows XP