TAG (TAC?) Suicide Bomber

donnie

I've read somewhere that a company called either TAG or TAC has just
produced a little 15 (25?/28?)mm model Suicide Bomber a la London.

Before commenting does anyone know if this is true?

"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> I've read somewhere that a company called either TAG or TAC has just
> produced a little 15 (25?/28?)mm model Suicide Bomber a la London.
>
> Before commenting does anyone know if this is true?

The manufacturer is The Assault Group - TAG. Here's a link to a photo of the
sculpt:

http://www.theassaultgroup.com/OCG-free-001.gif

The sculpt differs from the London bombers in several technical details. It
is definitely a sucide bomber. Scale is 28mm.

The proprietor of TAG started a thread about this series of sculpts on The
Miniatures Page. Here's a link to that:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=47987

I didn't comment then and I won't now. Hope this helped.

well, if they were Warhammer bigures I wonder if the "bomber " would be
a whole figure or a Bitz order ?
That bad joke aside- this is an atrocious figure to make in my opinion

donnie

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:23:16 -0400, "Irving Horowitz" <zippy@fuse.net>
wrote:

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> I've read somewhere that a company called either TAG or TAC has just
>> produced a little 15 (25?/28?)mm model Suicide Bomber a la London.
>>
>> Before commenting does anyone know if this is true?
>
>The manufacturer is The Assault Group - TAG. Here's a link to a photo of the
>sculpt:
>
>http://www.theassaultgroup.com/OCG-free-001.gif
>
>The sculpt differs from the London bombers in several technical details. It
>is definitely a sucide bomber. Scale is 28mm.
>
>The proprietor of TAG started a thread about this series of sculpts on The
>Miniatures Page. Here's a link to that:
>
>http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=47987
>
>I didn't comment then and I won't now. Hope this helped.

Thanks. I don't think I could have read much more of those comments. I
eagerly await their "Dead Iraqi child" and their announcement of sales
convention in Iraq.

Morons.

Umm, with respect to all, many were , but not ALL SS soldiers were
ruthless killers of innocent civillians,UNLIKE the Suicide Bombers.
Also, there is a big difference between a uniformed and identifiable
soldier and a sneaky Terrorist Bomber.Both are bad, but in comparison ,
I would say that the terrorist is worse since he ONLY targets
civillians.But this is only my opinion.- replys/opinions welcomed as
long as they are serious

Umm, with respect to all, many were , but not ALL SS soldiers were
ruthless killers of innocent civillians,UNLIKE the Suicide Bombers.
Also, there is a big difference between a uniformed and identifiable
soldier and a sneaky Terrorist Bomber.Both are bad, but in comparison ,
I would say that the terrorist is worse since he ONLY targets
civillians.But this is only my opinion.- replys/opinions welcomed as
long as they are serious

ty

"John Secker" <john@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <NACBe.1252$Bo3.840@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, Ty

>>Of course, we shouldn't get too self-righteous. Our hobby does center
>>around
>>*war* after all.

> The model has a pistol as well as his bomb belt, and is in an "action"
> stance, holding a detonator wire out in front of him. Presumably for use
> in some street fighting/gang war scenario where he can blow himself up if
> he is in range of enough enemies. As someone else said, very different
> from the London bombers, who would look like a teenager in an anorak with
> a large rucksack.
> And yes, given that we play a hobby which is all about models of
> professional killers, we need to avoid the high ground. Is this worse than
> a model of an SS soldier? Hard to make a coherent moral case.

Well, I knew that if I persevered long enough, I'd agree with you about
*something*.

--Ty

ty

> If you explain to the man in the street that "grown men who play with
> toy soldiers" have JUST brought out a little suicide bomber then I
> don't think they're going to care if it looks like a Muslim rucksack
> carrier, I think he's more likely to punch your head in.

Well, it is in extremely poor taste. Nor am I much persuaded by the
self-serving rationalization offered by the company.

--Ty

donnie

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:09:48 GMT, "Ty" <tybeardSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>"John Secker" <john@secker.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <NACBe.1252$Bo3.840@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, Ty
>
>>>Of course, we shouldn't get too self-righteous. Our hobby does center
>>>around
>>>*war* after all.
>
>> The model has a pistol as well as his bomb belt, and is in an "action"
>> stance, holding a detonator wire out in front of him. Presumably for use
>> in some street fighting/gang war scenario where he can blow himself up if
>> he is in range of enough enemies. As someone else said, very different
>> from the London bombers, who would look like a teenager in an anorak with
>> a large rucksack.
>> And yes, given that we play a hobby which is all about models of
>> professional killers, we need to avoid the high ground. Is this worse than
>> a model of an SS soldier? Hard to make a coherent moral case.

With respect it is worse than an SS "soldier" because it's happening
NOW.

>Well, I knew that if I persevered long enough, I'd agree with you about
>*something*.
>
>--Ty

"It's not like armies use suicide bombers in infantry assaults
or anything."

I think the NVA used pioneers with satchel charges, often they did not have
time to set them and retire, so they detonated them whilst carrying them.
This is shown in the Green Berets.

Most armies did nasty stuff. Assyrians ruled with a policy of deliberate
terror for example.

A suicide bomber figure is fine by me. I don't feel the need to own one but
am happy for those who do to have them. No worse than a Lancaster bomber, B
whatever or He111.

donnie

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:08:03 +0100, "Justin Taylor"
<justint@hellou2.*takethisout*fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>"It's not like armies use suicide bombers in infantry assaults
>or anything."
>
>I think the NVA used pioneers with satchel charges, often they did not have
>time to set them and retire, so they detonated them whilst carrying them.
>This is shown in the Green Berets.
>
>Most armies did nasty stuff. Assyrians ruled with a policy of deliberate
>terror for example.
>
>A suicide bomber figure is fine by me. I don't feel the need to own one but
>am happy for those who do to have them. No worse than a Lancaster bomber, B
>whatever or He111.

You really are stupid aren't you?

> You really are stupid aren't you?

It's all personal taste, Donnie. What kind of toys do you like to play with?

Frankly, I've seen some toys for sale lately that make me flush with rage
just to look at them. The C-P Models 20mm WWII-era civilian corpses do that
to me. Yes Donnie, that line includes dead children. Check the Catalogue
under Misc:

http://www.c-pmodels.co.uk/Frames.htm

Then again, there are people who feel the same way about my collection of
ACW Confederates. Their families suffered from our Peculiar Institution, and
it makes them sick with anger to see the slave-holders glorified. I
understand their point of view, but I don't share it. Should I expect them
to share mine?

The other day I saw a 28mm figure of a manacled, naked slave girl presenting
her body for sexual penetration. I thought the figure was grotesque and sad,
but it didn't _bother_ me. I shrugged and turned away. I can think of people
who would be infuriated by that toy, for their own good and sufficient
reasons.

I agree with you, I don't like the Suicide Bomber one bit. It's not a toy I
want to play with. Apparently there are guys serving in Iraq and Afghanistan
today who like the TAG terrorists and can't wait to play with them. I
respect our service people, who make great sacrifices to shield me and mine
from real enemies. Shall I spit in their eyes over a toy?

But I can't deny, the TAG Suicide Bomber makes me want to vomit. Personal
taste. Someone whose personal taste trips my gag reflex is no friend of
mine. What I have learned from this experience and others is that I have a
damn sight fewer friends in this hobby than I once thought.

donnie

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:15:40 -0400, "Irving Horowitz" <zippy@fuse.net>
wrote:

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>>
>> You really are stupid aren't you?
>
>It's all personal taste, Donnie. What kind of toys do you like to play with?
>
>Frankly, I've seen some toys for sale lately that make me flush with rage
>just to look at them. The C-P Models 20mm WWII-era civilian corpses do that
>to me. Yes Donnie, that line includes dead children. Check the Catalogue
>under Misc:
>
>http://www.c-pmodels.co.uk/Frames.htm
>
>Then again, there are people who feel the same way about my collection of
>ACW Confederates. Their families suffered from our Peculiar Institution, and
>it makes them sick with anger to see the slave-holders glorified. I
>understand their point of view, but I don't share it. Should I expect them
>to share mine?
>
>The other day I saw a 28mm figure of a manacled, naked slave girl presenting
>her body for sexual penetration. I thought the figure was grotesque and sad,
>but it didn't _bother_ me. I shrugged and turned away. I can think of people
>who would be infuriated by that toy, for their own good and sufficient
>reasons.
>
>I agree with you, I don't like the Suicide Bomber one bit. It's not a toy I
>want to play with. Apparently there are guys serving in Iraq and Afghanistan
>today who like the TAG terrorists and can't wait to play with them. I
>respect our service people, who make great sacrifices to shield me and mine
>from real enemies. Shall I spit in their eyes over a toy?
>
>But I can't deny, the TAG Suicide Bomber makes me want to vomit. Personal
>taste. Someone whose personal taste trips my gag reflex is no friend of
>mine. What I have learned from this experience and others is that I have a
>damn sight fewer friends in this hobby than I once thought.

I agree with you broadly, but with respect, I think you miss my point.

A suicide bomber is a toy in our eyes, but RIGHT NOW it is
indefensible except by the supremely stupid.

donnie

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:15:40 -0400, "Irving Horowitz" <zippy@fuse.net>

CUT ONLY FOR BREVITY

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>>
>> You really are stupid aren't you?
>
>It's all personal taste, Donnie. What kind of toys do you like to play with?

To put some of this in context I just yesterday watched my first DVD
copy of Schindler's List.

Can't wait for the figures <sic>

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:15:40 -0400, "Irving Horowitz" <zippy@fuse.net>
>>It's all personal taste, Donnie. What kind of toys do you like to play
>>with?
>>
> To put some of this in context I just yesterday watched my first DVD
> copy of Schindler's List.
>
> Can't wait for the figures <sic>

I get your point, Donnie. Now is a particularly bad time to bring out a
suicide bomber figure, a time when more people than usual are likely to be
offended. But by the same token, the customers who like that sort of thing
are more likely to start a *shudder* project. Timeliness and topicality
generates sales.

The Schindler's List figures are already out. C-P Models offers 'Soviet
Women', 'Civilian Prisoners Under Guard' and enough corpses for a major
ghetto clearing operation. I must say C-P Models is an equal-opportunity
offender. The strung-up stiff featured on their home page will work
excellent well for my projected diorama of SS being lynched by jubilant mobs
in 1945.

I'm kidding about the diorama. At least I think I'm kidding. All among
friends, eh?

donnie

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:22:12 -0400, "Irving Horowitz" <zippy@fuse.net>
wrote:

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:15:40 -0400, "Irving Horowitz" <zippy@fuse.net>
>>>It's all personal taste, Donnie. What kind of toys do you like to play
>>>with?
>>>
>> To put some of this in context I just yesterday watched my first DVD
>> copy of Schindler's List.
>>
>> Can't wait for the figures <sic>
>
>I get your point, Donnie. Now is a particularly bad time to bring out a
>suicide bomber figure, a time when more people than usual are likely to be
>offended. But by the same token, the customers who like that sort of thing
>are more likely to start a *shudder* project. Timeliness and topicality
>generates sales.

Sadly true.

>The Schindler's List figures are already out. C-P Models offers 'Soviet
>Women', 'Civilian Prisoners Under Guard' and enough corpses for a major
>ghetto clearing operation. I must say C-P Models is an equal-opportunity
>offender. The strung-up stiff featured on their home page will work
>excellent well for my projected diorama of SS being lynched by jubilant mobs
>in 1945.

Speechless.

>I'm kidding about the diorama. At least I think I'm kidding. All among
>friends, eh?

Don't get me going :)
Enough said, let's leave this despicable subject.

"Just unfortunate timing on TAGs part."

I gather it was released the day before the London attack, so you right,
just bad luck.

Modern gaming can get a bit topical. People seem to be OK with the mass
killers of the ancient period, not forgetting human sacrifices and slavery!