Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New laptop, final suggestions.

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 17, 2009 10:56:04 AM

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a new laptop and my budget is around $1200. I live in England and don't mind buying it online or from some local store as long as a get a good deal.

Purpose of my laptop:

Music and videos, Photoshop, Auto CAD, Matlab and so on. Should be able to play new games though I'm not much into gaming but if needed should get the job done easily.

I'm looking at some good machines from Asus, don't remember the model as of now but it's a mean machine. The only downside is the low batter life which is 2 hours.

Cheers :) 
September 17, 2009 3:05:19 PM

If you live in england bloody well use £'s. This is not a yankee site.

Also, there are a few questions listed in the sticky at the top that would be best copied and answered.

IMO gaming in laptops is not a good idea even with the stagnant market that is around at the moment, best reserve it for light gaming unless it is the primary use.
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2009 11:48:27 PM

The Asus you are looking at may be the G51, in which case it would be a pretty solid choice. Keep in mind that any laptop that can game worth a darn isn't going to have very good battery. Is the nature of the beast.
Related resources
a c 244 D Laptop
September 18, 2009 5:34:52 AM

Logan,G51 is not available in UK(i checked ASUS site,asuslaptop.co.uk,laptopsdirect.co.uk etc) and the only laptop with the same specs is ASUS G60vx which has the same specs with the exception of screen resolution which is 1366x768 on G60vx and is 1920x1200 on G51
a b D Laptop
September 18, 2009 11:37:47 AM

Maziar said:
Logan,G51 is not available in UK(i checked ASUS site,asuslaptop.co.uk,laptopsdirect.co.uk etc) and the only laptop with the same specs is ASUS G60vx which has the same specs with the exception of screen resolution which is 1366x768 on G60vx and is 1920x1200 on G51


Ah, ok. Makes sense then.
September 18, 2009 3:24:33 PM

Yeah I'm talking about the G51VX. It's a beast I know, so power is gonna be an issue. Would spend around 750 Pounds or so for this laptop but I'd be happy :D  Gaming is not a primary purpose but heck I play games at times so don't want to find some other machine just for the sake of it.

Any idea of how to buy the G51VX in the UK? It's silly they don't sell that model in here, will be a HIT if they do!
a c 244 D Laptop
September 18, 2009 4:18:09 PM

As i said u can't find the ASUS G51 in UK,the alternative model is G60vx which has the same specs but lower screen resolution
a b D Laptop
September 18, 2009 4:21:14 PM

Maziar said:
As i said u can't find the ASUS G51 in UK,the alternative model is G60vx which has the same specs but lower screen resolution


That may be true, but you can also get it from someone who does international orders like XoticPC: http://www.xoticpc.com/
September 18, 2009 11:31:24 PM

Guys I did some more research. The downside of the Asus laptop is it's battery life - hardly 2 hours. I can't afford that! At the same time I think it's not worth spending so much for a gaming laptop, especially when gaming is not the primary purpose.

I checked Sony but they are quite delicate and Toshiba are expensive. Don't wan't to go for Apple.

I also checked number of UK websites for laptops but looks like all of a sudden all the good deals have disapeared:S
a c 244 D Laptop
September 19, 2009 7:16:22 AM

lostandwandering said:
That may be true, but you can also get it from someone who does international orders like XoticPC: http://www.xoticpc.com/

Yes but consider shipping cost too :D 
a c 244 D Laptop
September 19, 2009 7:17:57 AM

digisync said:
Guys I did some more research. The downside of the Asus laptop is it's battery life - hardly 2 hours. I can't afford that! At the same time I think it's not worth spending so much for a gaming laptop, especially when gaming is not the primary purpose.

I checked Sony but they are quite delicate and Toshiba are expensive. Don't wan't to go for Apple.

I also checked number of UK websites for laptops but looks like all of a sudden all the good deals have disapeared:S

have u checked www.asuslaptop.co.uk ?

also as logan said,www.xoticpc.com is very good but ask them about the shipping price,because they are in US
September 19, 2009 11:06:46 AM

Yeah I checked Asus UK already. No reply from xoticpc as of yet! I think I'll have to go for DELL UK
a b D Laptop
September 21, 2009 1:34:03 AM

digisync said:
Yeah I checked Asus UK already. No reply from xoticpc as of yet! I think I'll have to go for DELL UK


That's a shame. Don't get me wrong, I like Dell but I don't think they offer anything that matches the G51/G60 in price/performance. Hopefully you get a response from Xotic.
a c 244 D Laptop
September 21, 2009 6:33:55 AM

Yeah especially when they dropped out the 9800MGT SLI option from XPS M1730(its now only available with dual 8700MGTs)
!