This device cannot start (Code 10)_USB Mass Storage Device

I've been using a Buslink 40G disk-to-go for about 2 years and love it.
Today I plugged it into the USB port and the drive did not display. I've
searched forums half the night since this drive contains financial data that
hasn't been backed up for a month (yes, bad practice, I know) and I need to
get it working. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, updated drivers, removed and
reinstalled drivers, rolled back drivers and tried everything short of bios
changes I've seen recommended.

info:
drive: Buslink 2.0 Disk-on-the-go lite 40G
computer: Sony Vaio laptop, Dell Dimenion desktop (yes, I now tried it on
another PC)
operating sys: WindowsXP Pro

Help!! Please!!
1 answer Last reply
More about this device start code _usb mass storage device

    MsBabs wrote:

    > I've been using a Buslink 40G disk-to-go for about 2 years and love
    > it.
    > Today I plugged it into the USB port and the drive did not display.
    > I've searched forums half the night since this drive contains
    > financial data that hasn't been backed up for a month (yes, bad
    > practice, I know) and I need to
    > get it working. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, updated drivers,
    > removed and reinstalled drivers, rolled back drivers and tried
    > everything short of bios changes I've seen recommended.
    >
    > info:
    > drive: Buslink 2.0 Disk-on-the-go lite 40G
    > computer: Sony Vaio laptop, Dell Dimenion desktop (yes, I now tried
    > it on another PC)
    > operating sys: WindowsXP Pro
    >
    > Help!! Please!!

    If the drive doesn't work on another computer, it has failed. This is a
    hardware problem and applying software solutions will not work. Contact
    Buslink tech support to find out if this means that the drive itself
    has failed or just the usb connection. Ask them whether you are able to
    take the drive out of its case and slave it in an ordinary desktop.
    They may have other suggestions.

    Otherwise, contact a professional data recovery firm. My recommendation
    is DriveSavers (www.drivesavers.com), but there are others such as
    Ontrack and Seagate.

    Malke
    --