cannot start computer, missing file!!

Hi,
I am trying to repair an XP home laptop using the recovery console and the
microsoft help page
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
This article gets me to do the following and this seems to be the recomended
route to repairing XP that doesn't start. (after trying safe mode and last
known good configuration)

I have tried following these instructions but was unable to find the system
file. As a consequence when I try to start the computer now it will not
start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\windows\system\config\system

when I type copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
I get the message that the file can not be found! This makes things a little
difficult. PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO NOW!!

Cheers
Lenny

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
10 answers Last reply
More about cannot start computer missing file

    Hi

    A 'Repair' install is probably the best way to go, but not via the Recovery
    Console. Please have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens
    regarding a 'Repair' install of XP:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to repair an XP home laptop using the recovery console and the
    > microsoft help page
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
    > This article gets me to do the following and this seems to be the
    > recomended route to repairing XP that doesn't start. (after trying safe
    > mode and last known good configuration)
    >
    > I have tried following these instructions but was unable to find the
    > system file. As a consequence when I try to start the computer now it will
    > not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    > \windows\system\config\system
    >
    > when I type copy c:\windows\repair\system
    > c:\windows\system32\config\system I get the message that the file can not
    > be found! This makes things a little difficult. PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO NOW!!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Lenny
    >
    > md tmp
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    > copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
    >
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    > delete c:\windows\system32\config\default
    >
    > copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    > copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    > copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    > copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    > copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

    thanks for that and I have had a look at that page before but I don't want
    to loose all the unbacked up data that I have on the laptop. Some of it is
    very important. I am a little confused as that page talks a lot about
    backing up files and registry. Neither I am able to get to.
    Any thoughts?

    > Hi
    >
    > A 'Repair' install is probably the best way to go, but not via the
    > Recovery Console. Please have a look at the following article by Michael
    > Stevens regarding a 'Repair' install of XP:
    >
    > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I am trying to repair an XP home laptop using the recovery console and
    >> the microsoft help page
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
    >> This article gets me to do the following and this seems to be the
    >> recomended route to repairing XP that doesn't start. (after trying safe
    >> mode and last known good configuration)
    >>
    >> I have tried following these instructions but was unable to find the
    >> system file. As a consequence when I try to start the computer now it
    >> will not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    >> \windows\system\config\system
    >>
    >> when I type copy c:\windows\repair\system
    >> c:\windows\system32\config\system I get the message that the file can not
    >> be found! This makes things a little difficult. PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO
    >> NOW!!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Lenny
    >>
    >> md tmp
    >> copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    >> copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    >> copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    >> copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    >> copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
    >>
    >> delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    >> delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    >> delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    >> delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    >> delete c:\windows\system32\config\default
    >>
    >> copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    >> copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    >> copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    >> copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    >> copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

    Hi

    A 'Repair' install will leave your data files, programs and settings in
    place. However, if you have your data files are on the same hard
    disk/partition as the Windows OS is, you may like to back those up to CD
    beforehand, although I've never lost anything when performing a 'Repair'
    install.

    --

    Will Denny wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > A 'Repair' install will leave your data files, programs and settings
    > in
    > place. However, if you have your data files are on the same hard
    > disk/partition as the Windows OS is, you may like to back those up to
    > CD beforehand, although I've never lost anything when performing a
    > 'Repair' install.

    Since the OP apparently can't get into Windows, he's going to need to
    retrieve his data first by other means.

    Lenny - There are ways of getting data off your laptop. I'll give you a
    few, but if you don't have the tools and skill (and there is no shame
    in admitting this) then you should take your laptop to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    1. Remove the hard drive and slave it in a working XP desktop computer.
    Since it is a laptop drive, you will need either a laptop-IDE adapter
    or a drive enclosure. If the desktop's XP install will boot and see the
    laptop drive, copy off the files using Windows Explorer.

    2. If you have a usb thumbdrive with a decent capacity, boot the laptop
    with Knoppix, a Linux distro on a live cd. To get Knoppix, you need a
    computer with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning
    software. Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create
    your bootable cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the
    Windows files. Right-click on the thumbdrive's icon (on the Desktop) to
    get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read Only". Then
    click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action in the
    window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open instead
    of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Now transfer the files to
    your working XP box and burn to cd-r.

    3. Make a Bart's PE and do something similar to #2 above:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Once your data is off, you can attempt a Repair Install or opt for a
    Clean Install depending on your circumstances:

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    > Will Denny wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> A 'Repair' install will leave your data files, programs and settings
    >> in
    >> place. However, if you have your data files are on the same hard
    >> disk/partition as the Windows OS is, you may like to back those up to
    >> CD beforehand, although I've never lost anything when performing a
    >> 'Repair' install.
    >>
    > Since the OP apparently can't get into Windows, he's going to need to
    > retrieve his data first by other means.

    Oh - we all make a mistake every now and again!!

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    Why am I not able to copy the system file. I am unable to delete it and also
    cann't copy it? I keep getting 'No matching files were found'
    I am sure that if I could get this file back onto the computer then that
    would be a good start.

    lenny wrote:

    > Why am I not able to copy the system file. I am unable to delete it
    > and also cann't copy it? I keep getting 'No matching files were found'
    > I am sure that if I could get this file back onto the computer then
    > that would be a good start.

    You probably can't copy the file because your OEM didn't create the file
    folder in which you have been looking and/or set up things differently
    than the norm. You have a laptop so you have a specialized OEM setup.
    You can check with the laptop mftr.'s tech support for how to repair
    your Windows installation.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:00:06 +0100, "lenny"
    <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote:

    >Why am I not able to copy the system file. I am unable to delete it and also
    >cann't copy it? I keep getting 'No matching files were found'
    >I am sure that if I could get this file back onto the computer then that
    >would be a good start.

    Do you know what's in c:\windows\system32\config ?

    cd \windows\system32\config
    dir

    There may be another copy of system.
    e.g.,
    copy system.alt system

    thanks Malke, That is an interesting post. I didn't realise that would be
    the case but it answers a few questions. I have reformatted now and
    reinstalled but why would a OEM set up be any different to a normal set up.
    It is the same program?

    lenny wrote:

    > thanks Malke, That is an interesting post. I didn't realise that would
    > be the case but it answers a few questions. I have reformatted now and
    > reinstalled but why would a OEM set up be any different to a normal
    > set up. It is the same program?

    It's the same operating system, but all big OEM's like Dell, HP, etc.
    set up their systems in a proprietary way. It's just the way it's done.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com