Which DVD +/- DL burner is the best?

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
I turn to the forum for your help in this matter. I have done extensive research on Plextor, LiteOn , TDK and a few others. They all have their Pro's and Con's, with Plextor having issues with burning (on the latest reviews), LiteOn being alittle noisy (yet very effective) and TDK being the top of the line, in most collums/reviews.

I currently have a 4x and want to upgrade to a 16x, due to the overwhelming amount of burning I do in our company.

Please advise on which is the best to go with for the amount of burning I do.

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Gemguy

Equal is equal, or is it?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/31/05 10:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I have a Pioneer and I have no complaints (dvr-108), it's quiet. I think they released a new one (dvr-109). I say Pioneer since that is the only one that I have had experience with. I have had Lite-on drives in the past and they have been great.

RichPLS

Champion
I have had Pioneer, HP and Plextors, and by far Plextor is the best. My favorite is the Plextor 716SA or 716A (SATA/EIDE}

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Rich,

I was curious to know if you have had any issues with it at all, due to reading up on that particular model having issues with burning. Did Plextor finally correct the issue with a firmware update?
I appreciate any information on this particular model.

Thanks guys,

GFOS

Equal is equal, or is it?

RichPLS

Champion
I have applied a couple of firmware updates. They are extremely easy, just click exe file, simple.
But, it worked flawless for me before and after.

Every drive I have had has had a bios update.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
if you the plextor 716, make sure you install the plextools software that comes with it and disable the powerrec feature. it may cause veryy slow burning.

geminiguy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Rich and Dan,

Thanks for all the information on the 716a, I really appreciate all your help in choosing the right one the 1st time.
I will definately be getting a Plextor now insted of the LiteOn that I was going to be getting.

Thanks again guys,

GFOS

Equal is equal, or is it?

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
plextor is more then twice as expensive as any other common dvd drive but is it really worth it?

Plextor 16X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Drive, Model PX-716SA/SW, Retail $136.00

Specifications:
Write Speed: 16X DVD+R, 8X DVD+RW, 16X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 48X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM
Interface: SATA
Buffer: 8 MB
OS Support: 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP
Features: Buffer Underrun Proof Technology

vs.

Lite-On 16x, Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Beige, Model SOHW-1673S, Retail $56.00

Specifications:
Write Speed: 4X DVD+R DL, 16X DVD+R, 16X DVD-R, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 48X CD-ROM,16X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE

difference offcouce is the plextor is a SATA and it has 8mb buffer but is it really worth the money for this gain? you will spend about 80 more bucks on the plextor vs any IDE DVD burner that average around $55 on the market.

i want to find this information out because i know little to nothing about DVD burners and dont know if i should get the plextor my self and spend the extra 80-90 dollars.

RichPLS

Champion
The Plextor has 8mb cache verses Lite-on's 2mb
The Plextor is 4x DL verses 2.4x DL

RichPLS

Champion
And the EIDE model is $119 not $136

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
LiteOn's SOHW-1673S is a decent burner. And it can burn DL media at 4x, not just at 2.4x.

8 MB cache is practically useless, especially at higher speeds. And all writers have working buffer-underrun protection, so it doesn't matter that much anyway.

It's very easy to decide which burner to buy.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>