max59

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hi, is it possible to replace my Antec SP-450P PSU by a more powerfull one in my Sonata II desktop. continuing with the generally "silent" way of computing. If yes, witch model of the new ones would be fully compatible with my configuration ? best regards to each of you.

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Yes it is entirely possible to change it out and unless you were looking for a unique PSU, just about every PSU is universal. But why? Are you having problems with it? Putting in a larger video card? If your needs have changed for whatever reason and the 450W is not hacking it then go to this PSU CALCULATOR and determine what kinda power you need.

Once you have done that check out PSU's by Antec (Earthwatts), Corsair, Seasonic and Coolermaster. Those are the usual good ones. Keep in mind you'll really want to look at the 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC types, which means 80% or better efficiency and Active PFC sets the voltage from the wall for you. They are spendier but well worth it. You can also look into Modular PSU's which add a bit more to the price but you get to choose the cables you need so you don't have a great big wad of unused molex, PCI/e or SATA power cables.

Also pay attention to your mobo connections. Depending on age of the board you may have a 20 pin main connector and a 4 or 8 pin 12V connector (the one near the CPU) Most of the manufacturers I mentioned will have a 20+4 pin main connector so you can adapt to an older 20 pin mobo and a 4/8 12V connector. Just something to look for as you look at PSU's. You don't want to buy a 20 pin PSU when you need 20+4