New to rules

I totally new to gaming. I am putting together a 6mm civil war army. What
game is simple enough that I could kinda play on my own. I play chess by
myself sometimes. Why not something like this?

-John C
4 answers Last reply
More about rules
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    "John C" <jcvmf214@optonline.net> wrote in

    > I totally new to gaming. I am putting together a 6mm civil
    > war army. What game is simple enough that I could kinda play
    > on my own. I play chess by myself sometimes. Why not
    > something like this?

    For the Civil War, I s'pose the best candidate set of rules for
    the beginner would be DBR, although DBA is easier and might be
    better to start with if you can find some ancients figures (and,
    whisper it, but DBA can be played perfectly well with counters).

    Unless, of course, you mean the American Civil War, in which case
    DBR would be useless.

    All the best,

    John.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Fire and Fury is easily adapted to 6 mm. I have seen it played well at
    10mm. But why do you want to pay miniatures at 6mm?

    John C wrote:
    > I totally new to gaming. I am putting together a 6mm civil war army. What
    > game is simple enough that I could kinda play on my own. I play chess by
    > myself sometimes. Why not something like this?
    >
    > -John C

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    In article <F0NEe.1860$sf6.528@fe08.lga>, John C
    <jcvmf214@optonline.net> writes
    >I totally new to gaming. I am putting together a 6mm civil war army. What
    >game is simple enough that I could kinda play on my own. I play chess by
    >myself sometimes. Why not something like this?

    Which civil war? Most countries have had one or more civil wars.

    RFCM do some good rules intended for 15mm but you can scale them down to
    use 6mm figures very easily. They are often grid based, so are easy to
    play against yourself (although you don't need a grid for that).

    Regiment of Foote does the English Civil Wars of the mid seventeenth
    century, AK47 can be used for the various African civil wars of the late
    20th century and there are variants that cover the Mexican civil war and
    the Spanish Civil War. Lincoln's Army does the American civil war.

    --
    Jas

    http://www.the-kemps.org.uk/
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    American Civil War. Sorry for the mixup.

    -John c
    "J M Kemp" <news@castlegreen.org> wrote in message
    > In article <F0NEe.1860$sf6.528@fe08.lga>, John C <jcvmf214@optonline.net>
    > writes
    >>I totally new to gaming. I am putting together a 6mm civil war army. What
    >>game is simple enough that I could kinda play on my own. I play chess by
    >>myself sometimes. Why not something like this?
    >
    > Which civil war? Most countries have had one or more civil wars.
    >
    > RFCM do some good rules intended for 15mm but you can scale them down to
    > use 6mm figures very easily. They are often grid based, so are easy to
    > play against yourself (although you don't need a grid for that).
    >
    > Regiment of Foote does the English Civil Wars of the mid seventeenth
    > century, AK47 can be used for the various African civil wars of the late
    > 20th century and there are variants that cover the Mexican civil war and
    > the Spanish Civil War. Lincoln's Army does the American civil war.
    >
    > --
    > Jas
    >
    > http://www.the-kemps.org.uk/

Gaming Games Video Games