Sign in with
Your question

do i need a floppy drive for raptor new install ?

Last response: in Storage
April 1, 2005 3:22:27 AM

i just bought the components for a new pc
a oem raptor 74gb and a new windows xp sp2
does windows have a problem recognizing the raptor or do i need the WD utilities that usually come on a floppy (and probably with a retail raptor) ?
i don`t even have a floppy for my other pc
so i would have to download the utility and install a floppy on my first pc then switch floppies and so on.
so please tell me window has drivers for the raptor?

are you going to bark all day little doggie?
or are you going to bite?
April 1, 2005 4:50:28 AM

I'd be lying if I told you I KNEW that - did you look in your Raptor manual? Did the Raptor come with a CD?

April 1, 2005 7:43:17 AM

No, Windows Settup has no problem recognizing any SATA drive. The problem is what controller you're using: An On-Chipset SATA controller will show the drive to Windows as a standard IDE drive so long as RAID mode is disabled. If RAID mode is enabled (stupid thing to do if you're using one drive), you need a driver on floppy. If you use a third-party controller (such as Promise, Highpoint, or Silicon Image), you'll need a driver on floppy.

So basically, so long as you use the chipset's controller in non-RAID mode, you don't need a floppy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
April 1, 2005 3:27:46 PM

I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra-64 and no RAID. RAID is disabled in my bios, so was intergrated SCSI card, and only drive was attached was Raptor 74gig, and I had to install drivers from mobo to install XP, any other way and XP would not find drive.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
April 1, 2005 5:53:40 PM

For what its worth...I was OK on my machine with the 36gb raptor (raid off). I didn't need a diskette drive, even though i have one.

A8N-SLI Deluxe v.1002 at the time, i'm running v.1006 now.

Current machines running F@H:
AMD: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x1][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time
April 1, 2005 6:09:24 PM

But you're still using a 3rd party controller, no? I've installed XP on several systems using the chipsets controller (RAID disabled) and XP always found the drives without a special driver, using the standard IDE controller driver built into XP.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!