Mouse Driver

July 21, 2005 9:05:03 AM

I keep losing my mouse driver. I have installed a IBM optical mouse on my
Dell PC and for some reason the driver seems to go away. It occurs mostly
when the PC is started up. When this happens the scroll speed is so
uncontrollable that you can't do anything with it until you reload the
driver. When you open the mouse properties and click on update driver it
comes back and tells you that the best driver is installed so you have to
choose another driver so the mouse will work. When it happens again you
choose the driver it had before and then it will work again. Next time the
same thing - It seems all I get done is update the driver going between two
different drivers. What would be causing this.

Can't an IBM mouse be used on a Dell?

More about : mouse driver

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:14:42 PM

Desktop or Notebook ?, Connected how (PS2 or USB) ?. Have you
scanned through Add/Remove Programs for any Mouse support types
of software. If it's a notebook - the Touchpad drivers are also used
for the mouse. If you check Device Manager "Mouse and other Pointing
Devices", how is the mouse described ? - While in Device Manager
click View, tic "Show Hidden Devices", are there other grayed out
entries besides the active mousing device ? As to your question - A
mouse is a mouse to XP, drivers and support software (SetPoint or
MS Intellimouse, Synaptics) software more clearly describes it to the
OS.

"Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep losing my mouse driver. I have installed a IBM optical mouse on my
> Dell PC and for some reason the driver seems to go away. It occurs mostly
> when the PC is started up. When this happens the scroll speed is so
> uncontrollable that you can't do anything with it until you reload the
> driver. When you open the mouse properties and click on update driver it
> comes back and tells you that the best driver is installed so you have to
> choose another driver so the mouse will work. When it happens again you
> choose the driver it had before and then it will work again. Next time
> the
> same thing - It seems all I get done is update the driver going between
> two
> different drivers. What would be causing this.
>
> Can't an IBM mouse be used on a Dell?
July 21, 2005 12:14:43 PM

PC is a desktop and the mouse is connected by PS2. I scanned through the
Add/Remove Programs and there are no mouse support types of software other
than the IBM one that installed the mouse. I checked Device Manager and
checked the "Show hidden diveces" and there was no grayed out items - just
the IBM described mouse. Is there something else I should check? Thanks

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Desktop or Notebook ?, Connected how (PS2 or USB) ?. Have you
> scanned through Add/Remove Programs for any Mouse support types
> of software. If it's a notebook - the Touchpad drivers are also used
> for the mouse. If you check Device Manager "Mouse and other Pointing
> Devices", how is the mouse described ? - While in Device Manager
> click View, tic "Show Hidden Devices", are there other grayed out
> entries besides the active mousing device ? As to your question - A
> mouse is a mouse to XP, drivers and support software (SetPoint or
> MS Intellimouse, Synaptics) software more clearly describes it to the
> OS.
>
> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep losing my mouse driver. I have installed a IBM optical mouse on my
> > Dell PC and for some reason the driver seems to go away. It occurs mostly
> > when the PC is started up. When this happens the scroll speed is so
> > uncontrollable that you can't do anything with it until you reload the
> > driver. When you open the mouse properties and click on update driver it
> > comes back and tells you that the best driver is installed so you have to
> > choose another driver so the mouse will work. When it happens again you
> > choose the driver it had before and then it will work again. Next time
> > the
> > same thing - It seems all I get done is update the driver going between
> > two
> > different drivers. What would be causing this.
> >
> > Can't an IBM mouse be used on a Dell?

Related resources
July 21, 2005 12:54:06 PM

Hope this posting helps:g: When I say the mouse loses it's driver I mean the
mouse scrolling becomes so rapid that it is uncontrolable. When I go to the
hardware manager and check the properties for the mouse it shows the IBM
driver and appears as though everything is good. What I have to do next is
"update driver" and choose between either the "scroll point mouse" or the"
scroll point 800 dpi mouse" driver to reinstall the driver. After I do that
the mouse works fine. It seems you have to select one or the other driver to
make the mouse work. Can't figure out what happens to the mouse but that is
the only way you can get the scrolling back to normal.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Desktop or Notebook ?, Connected how (PS2 or USB) ?. Have you
> scanned through Add/Remove Programs for any Mouse support types
> of software. If it's a notebook - the Touchpad drivers are also used
> for the mouse. If you check Device Manager "Mouse and other Pointing
> Devices", how is the mouse described ? - While in Device Manager
> click View, tic "Show Hidden Devices", are there other grayed out
> entries besides the active mousing device ? As to your question - A
> mouse is a mouse to XP, drivers and support software (SetPoint or
> MS Intellimouse, Synaptics) software more clearly describes it to the
> OS.
>
> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep losing my mouse driver. I have installed a IBM optical mouse on my
> > Dell PC and for some reason the driver seems to go away. It occurs mostly
> > when the PC is started up. When this happens the scroll speed is so
> > uncontrollable that you can't do anything with it until you reload the
> > driver. When you open the mouse properties and click on update driver it
> > comes back and tells you that the best driver is installed so you have to
> > choose another driver so the mouse will work. When it happens again you
> > choose the driver it had before and then it will work again. Next time
> > the
> > same thing - It seems all I get done is update the driver going between
> > two
> > different drivers. What would be causing this.
> >
> > Can't an IBM mouse be used on a Dell?

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:21:33 PM

Thanks for the details. If the mouse is connected via PS2, then you
don't really need the IBM support software. Unless it provides some
additional configuration or functionality. XP's Mouse Control Panel
applet should be adequate. I would either uninstall the IBM Mouse
software or go to their website and check for an update.

> PC is a desktop and the mouse is connected by PS2. I scanned through the
> Add/Remove Programs and there are no mouse support types of software other
> than the IBM one that installed the mouse. I checked Device Manager and
> checked the "Show hidden diveces" and there was no grayed out items - just
> the IBM described mouse. Is there something else I should check? Thanks
>

> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Desktop or Notebook ?, Connected how (PS2 or USB) ?. Have you
>> scanned through Add/Remove Programs for any Mouse support types
>> of software. If it's a notebook - the Touchpad drivers are also used
>> for the mouse. If you check Device Manager "Mouse and other Pointing
>> Devices", how is the mouse described ? - While in Device Manager
>> click View, tic "Show Hidden Devices", are there other grayed out
>> entries besides the active mousing device ? As to your question - A
>> mouse is a mouse to XP, drivers and support software (SetPoint or
>> MS Intellimouse, Synaptics) software more clearly describes it to the
>> OS.
>>
>> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I keep losing my mouse driver. I have installed a IBM optical mouse on
>> >my
>> > Dell PC and for some reason the driver seems to go away. It occurs
>> > mostly
>> > when the PC is started up. When this happens the scroll speed is so
>> > uncontrollable that you can't do anything with it until you reload the
>> > driver. When you open the mouse properties and click on update driver
>> > it
>> > comes back and tells you that the best driver is installed so you have
>> > choose another driver so the mouse will work. When it happens again
>> > you
>> > choose the driver it had before and then it will work again. Next time
>> > the
>> > same thing - It seems all I get done is update the driver going between
>> > two
>> > different drivers. What would be causing this.
>> >
>> > Can't an IBM mouse be used on a Dell?

July 21, 2005 1:21:34 PM

Thanks for the info - I did uninstall the IBM software and that caused some
scroll functions on the mouse to quit. The IBM mouse scrolls sidesways and
at an angle when you press the scroll pad - it locks the scroll feature so
you can just move the mouse to go sideways, up & down. Nice feature but
reloading the driver is a pain. I did upload the latest driver from IBM but
it still loses the driver.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Thanks for the details. If the mouse is connected via PS2, then you
> don't really need the IBM support software. Unless it provides some
> additional configuration or functionality. XP's Mouse Control Panel
> applet should be adequate. I would either uninstall the IBM Mouse
> software or go to their website and check for an update.
>
> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > PC is a desktop and the mouse is connected by PS2. I scanned through the
> > Add/Remove Programs and there are no mouse support types of software other
> > than the IBM one that installed the mouse. I checked Device Manager and
> > checked the "Show hidden diveces" and there was no grayed out items - just
> > the IBM described mouse. Is there something else I should check? Thanks
> >

> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> Desktop or Notebook ?, Connected how (PS2 or USB) ?. Have you
> >> scanned through Add/Remove Programs for any Mouse support types
> >> of software. If it's a notebook - the Touchpad drivers are also used
> >> for the mouse. If you check Device Manager "Mouse and other Pointing
> >> Devices", how is the mouse described ? - While in Device Manager
> >> click View, tic "Show Hidden Devices", are there other grayed out
> >> entries besides the active mousing device ? As to your question - A
> >> mouse is a mouse to XP, drivers and support software (SetPoint or
> >> MS Intellimouse, Synaptics) software more clearly describes it to the
> >> OS.
> >>
> >> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:58:24 PM

I'm not following your "Loses the driver". When you updated the IBM
software can you open Device Manager, expand the Mice & Other
pointing devices category. What is the description string for your mouse?
Like "Logitech-PS2 Compatible Mouse". Double-Click the mouse and
then the Driver (TAB). What version does the details box show and
also the date stamp of the driver ?
Sometimes to install a driver you have to use the "Do not Automatically
...." and instead manually define it & point the installer to your recently
downloaded driver package. Then uncheck the "Show Compatible
Devices" select the vendor and specific model number for the .Inf that
is included in the driver software.

!