What exactly is Microsoft Proxy Service????

When running msconfig there are a number of programs that load on
startup. One of these is called "Proxy Service". Can any one supply a
brief, non-arcane, description of what this program does. I would like
to reduce the number of programs that load on startup. Can this be one
that I can safely disable, but at what cost to computer performance, I
have searched for a simple answer on the web with little luck.

"Bill Mackey" <whmackey@erols.com> wrote in message
> When running msconfig there are a number of programs that load on startup.
> One of these is called "Proxy Service". Can any one supply a brief,
> non-arcane, description of what this program does. I would like to reduce
> the number of programs that load on startup. Can this be one that I can
> safely disable, but at what cost to computer performance, I have searched
> for a simple answer on the web with little luck.

What is the name of the file that runs as "Proxy Service"?

Kerry

A good starting point for any Technical Terminology is a
web site, Webopedia.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/proxy_server.html
Proxy Service is a generic description. You would need to
determine if it's a native XP app/service or a component of
some 3rd-Party program installed on your PC. The key to
startups is the physical location of the module (.exe). If it
belongs to say C:\Program Files\McAfee, then you'll know
which program is installing the Startup or Watchdog.