How to allow ping replies with SP2 Firewall ?

Hi all

We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2) machines.
When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really handy to be
able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a particular machine has
not updated and this machine is in a differnt office, rather than having to
contact that office I can just ping the machine, if it replies then there's
a problem if not then the machine is off)

I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions list)

thanks for any replies
gerryR
4 answers Last reply
More about ping replies firewall

    Open the Windows firewall and select the Advanced Tab, then select the ICMP
    setting. Placing a check in the first option "Allow incoming echo request"
    should do it or just allow port 445.

    "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2)
    > machines. When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really
    > handy to be able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a
    > particular machine has not updated and this machine is in a differnt
    > office, rather than having to contact that office I can just ping the
    > machine, if it replies then there's a problem if not then the machine is
    > off)
    >
    > I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
    > machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions list)
    >
    > thanks for any replies
    > gerryR

    Perfect, thanks a million.

    just to be a pain, is there anything in there I can change that will allw
    access to the administrator share (c$) ?
    thanks for you help
    gerryR

    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > Open the Windows firewall and select the Advanced Tab, then select the
    > ICMP setting. Placing a check in the first option "Allow incoming echo
    > request" should do it or just allow port 445.

    > "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2)
    >> machines. When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really
    >> handy to be able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a
    >> particular machine has not updated and this machine is in a differnt
    >> office, rather than having to contact that office I can just ping the
    >> machine, if it replies then there's a problem if not then the machine is
    >> off)
    >>
    >> I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
    >> machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions list)
    >>
    >> thanks for any replies
    >> gerryR

    I "file and printer sharing" is enabled, you should be able to access remote
    machines with c$ share. But you have propably disabled it, because viruses
    typically tries to scan network shares (like c$) to get access to remote
    machines.

    > Perfect, thanks a million.
    >
    > just to be a pain, is there anything in there I can change that will allw
    > access to the administrator share (c$) ?
    > thanks for you help
    > gerryR
    >

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> Open the Windows firewall and select the Advanced Tab, then select the
    >> ICMP setting. Placing a check in the first option "Allow incoming echo
    >> request" should do it or just allow port 445.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2)
    >>> machines. When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really
    >>> handy to be able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a
    >>> particular machine has not updated and this machine is in a differnt
    >>> office, rather than having to contact that office I can just ping the
    >>> machine, if it replies then there's a problem if not then the machine is
    >>> off)
    >>>
    >>> I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
    >>> machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions
    >>> list)
    >>>
    >>> thanks for any replies
    >>> gerryR

    Cheers for the reply again

    The problem seems to be with the firewall, if I turn it on I cannot access
    the c$ but if I turn it off I can.

    Thanks for your assistance
    gerryR

    "News Reader" <stealth@null.net> wrote in message
    >I "file and printer sharing" is enabled, you should be able to access
    >remote machines with c$ share. But you have propably disabled it, because
    >viruses typically tries to scan network shares (like c$) to get access to
    >remote machines.
    >

    > "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Perfect, thanks a million.
    >>
    >> just to be a pain, is there anything in there I can change that will allw
    >> access to the administrator share (c$) ?
    >> thanks for you help
    >> gerryR
    >>

    >> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >>> Open the Windows firewall and select the Advanced Tab, then select the
    >>> ICMP setting. Placing a check in the first option "Allow incoming echo
    >>> request" should do it or just allow port 445.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> The best live web video on the internet
    >>> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    >>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    >>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    >>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    >>>

    >>> "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message

Windows XP