How to allow ping replies with SP2 Firewall ?

July 21, 2005 8:07:02 PM

Hi all

We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2) machines.
When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really handy to be
able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a particular machine has
not updated and this machine is in a differnt office, rather than having to
contact that office I can just ping the machine, if it replies then there's
a problem if not then the machine is off)

I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions list)

thanks for any replies
gerryR

More about : ping replies sp2 firewall

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:07:03 PM

Open the Windows firewall and select the Advanced Tab, then select the ICMP
setting. Placing a check in the first option "Allow incoming echo request"
should do it or just allow port 445.

"gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2)
> machines. When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really
> handy to be able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a
> particular machine has not updated and this machine is in a differnt
> office, rather than having to contact that office I can just ping the
> machine, if it replies then there's a problem if not then the machine is
> off)
>
> I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
> machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions list)
>
> thanks for any replies
> gerryR

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:53:05 PM

Perfect, thanks a million.

just to be a pain, is there anything in there I can change that will allw
access to the administrator share (c$) ?
thanks for you help
gerryR

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Open the Windows firewall and select the Advanced Tab, then select the
> ICMP setting. Placing a check in the first option "Allow incoming echo
> request" should do it or just allow port 445.

> "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>>
>> We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2)
>> machines. When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really
>> handy to be able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a
>> particular machine has not updated and this machine is in a differnt
>> office, rather than having to contact that office I can just ping the
>> machine, if it replies then there's a problem if not then the machine is
>> off)
>>
>> I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
>> machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions list)
>>
>> thanks for any replies
>> gerryR

July 22, 2005 2:31:17 AM

I "file and printer sharing" is enabled, you should be able to access remote
machines with c$ share. But you have propably disabled it, because viruses
typically tries to scan network shares (like c$) to get access to remote
machines.

> Perfect, thanks a million.
>
> just to be a pain, is there anything in there I can change that will allw
> access to the administrator share (c$) ?
> thanks for you help
> gerryR
>

> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>> Open the Windows firewall and select the Advanced Tab, then select the
>> ICMP setting. Placing a check in the first option "Allow incoming echo
>> request" should do it or just allow port 445.
>>
>> --

>> "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> We are running a mix network of 2000 (SP4), NT (SP6a) and XP (SP2)
>>> machines. When working on our anti-virus managment software it is really
>>> handy to be able to ping a machine (if the AV manager tells us a
>>> particular machine has not updated and this machine is in a differnt
>>> office, rather than having to contact that office I can just ping the
>>> machine, if it replies then there's a problem if not then the machine is
>>> off)
>>>
>>> I there anyway (without turning off the firewall in SP2) to allow XP SP2
>>> machines reply to pings ? (like adding something to the exceptions
>>> list)
>>>
>>> thanks for any replies
>>> gerryR

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:56:15 PM

Cheers for the reply again

The problem seems to be with the firewall, if I turn it on I cannot access
the c$ but if I turn it off I can.

Thanks for your assistance
gerryR

!