Looking for an LCD capable of 85Hz vertical refres

DerelictMan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Hi,

First of all, apologies if this has been discussed here before. I searched past threads for this topic and couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm looking for an LCD monitor that is capable of an 85Hz vertical refresh rate. Let me explain:

I fully realize that for normal day to day use refresh rates aren't as important when using LCD's as opposed to CRT's. I realize that most people are concerned with refresh rates simply because they want to avoid flicker, and that LCD technology is flicker-free even at 60Hz. It seems to me because of this it's difficult to even get refresh rate specs on LCD's...most websites and online stores simply don't give you that information.

I'm concerned about the refresh rate for a reason that is not related to flickering...namely for gaming performance. I'm very picky about frame rates, and I've grown accustomed to playing FPS's at 85fps (I still mainly play older FPS games online, like Unreal Tournament 99). In addition to this, I *always* play with V-Sync enabled; I just cannot tolerate the tearing effect you sometimes get with V-Sync disabled. So, this explains my need for an 85Hz LCD...if I want to get 85fps with V-Sync ON then I have to have an LCD that is capable of this refresh rate.

I've actually found about 3-4 different LCD's that are capable of 85Hz, according to specs I've seen on various websites. I was hoping that someone here actually owned one of these LCD's and could confirm that they do indeed support 85Hz. I had a Hyundai L90D+ that could do 75Hz, but it wasn't the "native" refresh rate, so when I switched to it, it made everything look like garbage...very blurry. That particular LCD was only usable at 60Hz, which disappointed me enough that I had to return it. I'm afraid some of the LCD's that I found capable of 85Hz might behave similarly. So I'm hoping that someone here can verify that at least one of these LCD's are both capable of 85Hz *and* don't lose display quality at that refresh rate.

The models I found are:
ViewSonic VA902B 19"
ViewSonic VA912B 19"
ViewSonic VX910 19"
ViewSonic VP191B 19"
Samsung SyncMaster 193P 19"

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an LCD that matches my requirements that I haven't listed, I'd love to hear about it. Also, if you currently own or know of an LCD that is capable of 75Hz without loss of quality, please let me know that as well...if I have to I can put up with 75fps, but 60fps is below my tolerance.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help...

andreribeiro

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2004
I was going to buy an L90D+, but then it came out the VP191b 8ms and I opted for this one because in the reviews the L90D+ wasn't so good for reproducing DVDs and colors.

The Viewsonic VP191b 8ms I have allows 75 Hz at 1280x1024 connected throw DVI. But with powerstrip custom timings I overclocked it to 78Hz. More than 78.5Hz and it just says out of range.

It have an ATI Radeon Pro 9800. And I also play some older games like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. I've never gave much attention to V-Sync. Usually WolfET just runs as 90fps. It doesn't get any better than that.

I don't know if you noticed any ghosting with the Hyunday L90D+. On this one I notice a little bit when the bigger guns bounce from left to right and vice versa, on some WolfET maps. On Doom 3 I don't noticed any.

Anyway all the reviews I saw said L90D+ is quicker than VP191 8ms. Because 8ms on TN panel are different than 8ms on a SPVA panel.

But if you want to play at 1280x1024 with 78 fps syncronized, get VP191 8ms.

http://storage.no.sapo.pt/ViewsonicVP191b/image1_std.jpg
http://storage.no.sapo.pt/ViewsonicVP191b/image1.jpg
http://storage.no.sapo.pt/ViewsonicVP191b/max%20clock.JPG

hope this helps

DerelictMan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Especially the mention of powerstrip, I had never heard of that program before, I expect that to come in very handy when I finally get my LCD.

I found the color reproduction of the L90D to be pretty poor. Uniformity was bad...the bottom of my screen was dimmer than the top, unless I adjusted the angle. I think it was probably the result of poor viewing angles, but perhaps I just had a bad unit. To be honest I can't comment on the ghosting of the L90D, the only game I ever tested it with was very bright and I was more concerned about the framerate/vsync issue than ghosting. I expect a little ghosting with any LCD though and I don't think it'll bother me too much unless it's extreme.

Thanks for the recommendation on the VP191B. There's a new model out now, the VP930B which supposedly replaces the 191 and has a higher contrast. I found it for slightly over $400 at ebuyer.com. Hopefully they are reputable because they beat newegg's prices by about 60 bucks. I guess I'm about to find out.

Thanks again for your post, it was very helpful!