[n] UDMA is low, why?

nirav

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
Hi,
I am using 3 HDD, a. Seagate 80G UDMA-5 (ATA-100), b. Seagate 20G UDMA-5 (ATA-100) c. Samsung 8G UDMA-4 (ATA-66). and one optical drive CD-RW UDMA-2(ATA-33).
Now, I have both the Seagates on Promary channel and samsung HDD and optical on secondary channel.
When I see the arrangement using EVEREST Home Edition (from Lavalys), i see that though Samsung 8G capable of UDMA-4(ATA-66) is working on UDMA-2 (ATA-33); the same as optical drive. Is it because it's working with optical drive so it HAS to work on that throughput?
If this is the limitation then if i put seagate 20( UDMA-5, ATA-66) with optical that might also work on UDMA2(ATA-33), isn't it? OR I am wrong....
Bottom line, I would like to optimize the performance of my PC...(P-3 550MHz, Intel CA810E board, 128 **SD** RAM :( )

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Nirav

#include<NoOneLivesForever>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Different devices on the cable can run at different speeds (at least that is true now, not sure about that old of a comp). Is the cable you are using for the secondary channel an 80 or 40 wire cable? 40wire "should" be able to do ata 33/66 but you might as well have an 80wire cable there.

I must highly recommend that you go for a new computer. There are video cards now that are faster and have more ram that your whole computer...

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
40-wire is UDMA33 and lower only. 80-wire required for UDMA 66 and higher.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You need 80-wire cables, these have an extra ground wire between the signal wires to cancel out cross-talk. It looks like you're using one 80 and one 40 wire cable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
ahhh... that makes more sense. I guess it has been to long since I saw my last 40wire cable, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>