BIOS won't detect S-ATA

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I just installed a second hard drive on my PC. The first one is a WD 120 and uses the standard IDE 133. The one I just bought is a Samsung 160 GB S-ATA drive. I mounted the drive, attached the cables, powered up, went into BIOS only to find that the drive doesn't show up anywhere. BIOS is set to automatically configure drives. Right now here's what it shows:

Primary IDE Master WDC 120
Primary IDE Slave Zip 250
Secondary IDE Master Plextor DVD-R
Secondary IDE Slave Plextor CD-R
Third IDE Master Not Detected
Fourth IDE Master Not Detected

Enhanced Mode Support On [S-ATA]
Configure as RAID No
Timeout for Detection 35 Sec.

I must be doing something wrong, but darn if I know what it is.

Please help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What motherboard are you using? Is the drive plugged into the SATA-1 header?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought the Deluxe had 4 headers, 2 from the chipset and 2 from an add-in controller chip.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I only see two places labeled SATA.

This thing is REALLY starting to bug me. I disconnected the regular IDE drive and only had the SATA drive hooked up. I booted the XP install disk (just to see what would happen) and the first time it just said no disk was installed. The next time I hit F6 to install additional drivers. Then it asked me to put the driver disk in the A drive. I HAVE no frigging driver disk!!! Earlier, I had tried to install the Intell Accelerator Driver (or whatever it's called) in XP because it looks like that's what needs to be done for SATA, but it told me I didn't have a chipset that was supported. The damn disk came with the motherboard!

Grrrrrrrr. . . .

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
OMG. I can't believe how STUPID I am! Guess why my motherboard wouldn't recognize the SATA drive. I went back and looked at the rats nest of wire and saw it. I had the drive power plugged into a Fan Only power cable! I changed to another power lead and it popped right up. I initialized it, created a partition with Partition Magic and there it is!

Sheesh. . . <walking away shaking head in disbelief>