donnie

Having just dusted all my mini tanks and all my ACWs and all my
Colonials and all my 20mm Skirmish can anyone suggest something I can
buy/obtain/cannibalise to put over my troops, on a shelf so I can look
at them but without them gathering dust again. (And yes I know one
sentence doesn't make a paragraph. But I'm a Diabetic and having one
of my "turns" :)

TIA

I store most of my figures in a4 box-files.
No dust problems, but you can't see em.

If you can find somewhere sells fittings out shops have closed down or (
better still ) a shop is closing down.
A shop display unit is likely your best option.
You can buy display units brand new but they cost a fair bit.
The sort you see in shops are particularly expensive.

Perspex/polycarbonate is available in sheets from the likes of B&Q.
I suppose you could drill a couple of holes in a sheet, couple of screws
with heads of just the right size into your top shelf.... hang the sheet.
Neither terribly practical nor pretty though.

--
Regards,
Andy O'Neill
"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Having just dusted all my mini tanks and all my ACWs and all my
> Colonials and all my 20mm Skirmish can anyone suggest something I can
> buy/obtain/cannibalise to put over my troops, on a shelf so I can look
> at them but without them gathering dust again. (And yes I know one
> sentence doesn't make a paragraph. But I'm a Diabetic and having one
> of my "turns" :)
>
> TIA

Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
Donnie wrote:

> Having just dusted all my mini tanks and all my ACWs and all my
> Colonials and all my 20mm Skirmish can anyone suggest something I can
> buy/obtain/cannibalise to put over my troops, on a shelf so I can look
> at them but without them gathering dust again. (And yes I know one
> sentence doesn't make a paragraph. But I'm a Diabetic and having one
> of my "turns" :)

I've looked at 2 options:

(1) I went to Ikea and purchased an all-glass curio cabinet for some of my
models. It was US$99 (but they dropped the price to US$79 this year) and it
works fairly well. There will still be a little dust that seeps through, as
it is not airtight, but nowhere near as much as it was when they were
sitting out on the bookshelf. It has 4 or 5 shelves (mine is in storage
until next week when I move again), allows viewing from all angles, and you
can also add a light in the top for a few $ more.

(2) If you're looking at smaller units, you can always purchase displays
that are meant to hold model cars/airplanes and whatnot. Here in the
States, Michael's arts & crafts stores sell them along with picture frames.
They come in different sizes, but are around 10"w x 5"d x 6"h and run around
US$20-30.

OTOH, Andy O'Neill's suggestion about putting clear covers on your existing
bookshelves could, if done neatly, be the cheapest solution for a large
number of models, although I'd likely hinge the covers or maybe fashion a
track to allow you to slide the covers on and off so you can get to the
models when you want to.

Good luck!

--g

donnie

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:32:47 GMT, "Andy O'Neill"
<aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

>I store most of my figures in a4 box-files.
>No dust problems, but you can't see em.
>
>If you can find somewhere sells fittings out shops have closed down or (
>better still ) a shop is closing down.
>A shop display unit is likely your best option.
>You can buy display units brand new but they cost a fair bit.
>The sort you see in shops are particularly expensive.
>
>Perspex/polycarbonate is available in sheets from the likes of B&Q.
>I suppose you could drill a couple of holes in a sheet, couple of screws
>with heads of just the right size into your top shelf.... hang the sheet.
>Neither terribly practical nor pretty though.

I don't know, done properly if fulfills both requirements. Most of the
dust is kept out and I can see them.

Good suggestion thanks :)

donnie

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:44:23 GMT, "gair" <gaire-nospam@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
>Donnie wrote:
>
>> Having just dusted all my mini tanks and all my ACWs and all my
>> Colonials and all my 20mm Skirmish can anyone suggest something I can
>> buy/obtain/cannibalise to put over my troops, on a shelf so I can look
>> at them but without them gathering dust again. (And yes I know one
>> sentence doesn't make a paragraph. But I'm a Diabetic and having one
>> of my "turns" :)
>
>I've looked at 2 options:
>
>(1) I went to Ikea and purchased an all-glass curio cabinet for some of my
>models. It was US$99 (but they dropped the price to US$79 this year) and it
>works fairly well. There will still be a little dust that seeps through, as
>it is not airtight, but nowhere near as much as it was when they were
>sitting out on the bookshelf. It has 4 or 5 shelves (mine is in storage
>until next week when I move again), allows viewing from all angles, and you
>can also add a light in the top for a few $ more.
>
>(2) If you're looking at smaller units, you can always purchase displays
>that are meant to hold model cars/airplanes and whatnot. Here in the
>States, Michael's arts & crafts stores sell them along with picture frames.
>They come in different sizes, but are around 10"w x 5"d x 6"h and run around
>US$20-30.
>
>OTOH, Andy O'Neill's suggestion about putting clear covers on your existing
>bookshelves could, if done neatly, be the cheapest solution for a large
>number of models, although I'd likely hinge the covers or maybe fashion a
>track to allow you to slide the covers on and off so you can get to the
>models when you want to.

Yes, I think that's a good idea.

Thanks to both of you :)

"gair" <gaire-nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
> Donnie wrote:
<<>>
> OTOH, Andy O'Neill's suggestion about putting clear covers on your
> existing bookshelves could, if done neatly, be the cheapest solution for a
> large number of models, although I'd likely hinge the covers or maybe
> fashion a track to allow you to slide the covers on and off so you can get
> to the models when you want to.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --g

I had in mind holes that'd be big enough to let you lift the sheets off but
small enough to catch the heads of the screws. So you could lift off rather
than having to unscrew. You could drill a small hole and a larger one kinda
just below so the sheet slots on more securely.

Pulling the lower shelf out a little and attaching some sort of track you
could slide the sheet onto does sound neater though. Not sure what you'd
use for such a track but no doubt there's stuff like that anyhow for proper
cabinetry purposes. You'd need a rail or something on the ceiling though,
wouldn't you?

--
Regards,
Andy O'Neill
www.wargamer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
or, for no javascript and a faster load...
www.wargamer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sitemap.htm

donnie

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:05:47 GMT, "Andy O'Neill"
<aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

>"gair" <gaire-nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
>> Donnie wrote:
><<>>
>> OTOH, Andy O'Neill's suggestion about putting clear covers on your
>> existing bookshelves could, if done neatly, be the cheapest solution for a
>> large number of models, although I'd likely hinge the covers or maybe
>> fashion a track to allow you to slide the covers on and off so you can get
>> to the models when you want to.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --g
>

>I had in mind holes that'd be big enough to let you lift the sheets off but
>small enough to catch the heads of the screws. So you could lift off rather
>than having to unscrew. You could drill a small hole and a larger one kinda
>just below so the sheet slots on more securely.
>
>Pulling the lower shelf out a little and attaching some sort of track you
>could slide the sheet onto does sound neater though. Not sure what you'd
>use for such a track but no doubt there's stuff like that anyhow for proper
>cabinetry purposes. You'd need a rail or something on the ceiling though,
>wouldn't you?

No what I'm thinking is of jury rigging the front of a book case. (In
fact the more I think of the idea the more possibilities I come up
with.) For example simple picture frame corner brackets on each shelf
allowing me to slot in a sheet of perspex etc.

"Andy O'Neill" <aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> "gair" <gaire-nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market
>> beagles, Donnie wrote:
> <<>>
>> OTOH, Andy O'Neill's suggestion about putting clear covers on your
>> existing bookshelves could, if done neatly, be the cheapest solution for
>> a large number of models, although I'd likely hinge the covers or maybe
>> fashion a track to allow you to slide the covers on and off so you can
>> get to the models when you want to.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --g
>

> I had in mind holes that'd be big enough to let you lift the sheets off
> but small enough to catch the heads of the screws. So you could lift off
> rather than having to unscrew. You could drill a small hole and a larger
> one kinda just below so the sheet slots on more securely.
>
> Pulling the lower shelf out a little and attaching some sort of track you
> could slide the sheet onto does sound neater though. Not sure what you'd
> use for such a track but no doubt there's stuff like that anyhow for
> proper cabinetry purposes. You'd need a rail or something on the ceiling
> though, wouldn't you?

The small plastic clips used for mounting mirrors to walls will hold
plexi-glass
very nicely.

----
V. McNeil

donnie

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:26:19 GMT, "blutoof"
<mmcneil1@nycap.rr.mungecom> wrote:

>"Andy O'Neill" <aon14nocannedmeat@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "gair" <gaire-nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market
>>> beagles, Donnie wrote:
>> <<>>
>>> OTOH, Andy O'Neill's suggestion about putting clear covers on your
>>> existing bookshelves could, if done neatly, be the cheapest solution for
>>> a large number of models, although I'd likely hinge the covers or maybe
>>> fashion a track to allow you to slide the covers on and off so you can
>>> get to the models when you want to.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> --g
>>

>> I had in mind holes that'd be big enough to let you lift the sheets off
>> but small enough to catch the heads of the screws. So you could lift off
>> rather than having to unscrew. You could drill a small hole and a larger
>> one kinda just below so the sheet slots on more securely.
>>
>> Pulling the lower shelf out a little and attaching some sort of track you
>> could slide the sheet onto does sound neater though. Not sure what you'd
>> use for such a track but no doubt there's stuff like that anyhow for
>> proper cabinetry purposes. You'd need a rail or something on the ceiling
>> though, wouldn't you?
>>

>The small plastic clips used for mounting mirrors to walls will hold
>plexi-glass
>very nicely.
>
>----
>V. McNeil