External drive

So it's like this.. XP isn't recognizing my external drive no matter what
I've tried.
Disk Manager, etc., nothing seems to work. So my question would be does
anyone forsee possible problems if I remove the drive from the enclosure,
jumper it as a slave and put it in the box? It was running at one time and
has some data on it.

P4, 2.4G

Everthing else on the system seems to work just fine. USB ports, firewire,
all recognized, XP just isn't seeing this alleged hot swappable unit. Maybe
there's a problem with the enclosure..

Thanks to all,
11 answers Last reply
More about external drive

    smay28 wrote:

    > So it's like this.. XP isn't recognizing my external drive no matter what
    > I've tried.
    > Disk Manager, etc., nothing seems to work. So my question would be does
    > anyone forsee possible problems if I remove the drive from the enclosure,
    > jumper it as a slave and put it in the box? It was running at one time and
    > has some data on it.
    >
    > P4, 2.4G
    >
    > Everthing else on the system seems to work just fine. USB ports, firewire,
    > all recognized, XP just isn't seeing this alleged hot swappable unit. Maybe
    > there's a problem with the enclosure..
    >
    > Thanks to all,

    If the drive is working and it is a true derivative of an
    internal hard drive, then it should work OK as a slave. It
    is worth a try but there is a chance of incompatibilities
    due to the hardware bios that is being used to ID and treat
    the external HD as such.

    In the meantime, verified that the external HD works with
    an on-board USB port versus powered USB hub versus one that
    is unpowered?

    It's onboard alright.. I don't do hubs.. I have 4 built in and an additional
    4 in the form of a PCI card.. All work flawlessly with other doo-dads.. None
    of course requiring this kind of power. The enclosure has it's own power
    adapter and such.
    BTW.. the drive is a WD... WD2000JB to be exact.. Caviar series if I'm not
    mistaken.

    I'll let you know what happens..

    Thanks again

    smay28 wrote:
    > So it's like this.. XP isn't recognizing my external drive no matter what
    > I've tried.
    > Disk Manager, etc., nothing seems to work. So my question would be does
    > anyone forsee possible problems if I remove the drive from the enclosure,
    > jumper it as a slave and put it in the box? It was running at one time and
    > has some data on it.
    >
    > P4, 2.4G
    >
    > Everthing else on the system seems to work just fine. USB ports, firewire,
    > all recognized, XP just isn't seeing this alleged hot swappable unit. Maybe
    > there's a problem with the enclosure..
    >
    > Thanks to all,

    Just make sure your jumpers are all set properly and the drives are
    installed in the correct order.

    --
    Servo @ work
    "Yippee kaye aye, motherf'er!"

    No troubles.. I've been doing some research on the jumper settings and the
    ribbon cable placement so it sounds like it's worth a try.

    Thanks Servo

    smay28 wrote:
    > No troubles.. I've been doing some research on the jumper settings and the
    > ribbon cable placement so it sounds like it's worth a try.
    >
    > Thanks Servo

    Let us know what happens

    --
    Servo @ work
    "Yippee kaye aye, motherf'er!"
    tservo100 at
    ameritech dot net
    Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!

    >> smay28 wrote:
    >>
    >> > So it's like this.. XP isn't recognizing my external drive no matter
    >> > what
    >> > I've tried.
    >> > Disk Manager, etc., nothing seems to work. So my question would be does
    >> > anyone forsee possible problems if I remove the drive from the
    >> > enclosure,
    >> > jumper it as a slave and put it in the box? It was running at one time
    >> > and
    >> > has some data on it.
    >> >
    >> > P4, 2.4G
    >> >
    >> > Everthing else on the system seems to work just fine. USB ports,
    >> > firewire,
    >> > all recognized, XP just isn't seeing this alleged hot swappable unit.
    >> > Maybe
    >> > there's a problem with the enclosure..
    >> >
    >> > Thanks to all,

    Response by ?...

    "smay28" <smay28@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It's onboard alright.. I don't do hubs.. I have 4 built in and an
    > additional
    > 4 in the form of a PCI card.. All work flawlessly with other doo-dads..
    > None
    > of course requiring this kind of power. The enclosure has it's own power
    > adapter and such.
    > BTW.. the drive is a WD... WD2000JB to be exact.. Caviar series if I'm
    > not
    > mistaken.
    >
    > I'll let you know what happens..
    >
    > Thanks again

    smay28 (or Ghostrider):
    Is the drive jumpered as Single while it's installed in your USB external
    enclosure? If it's not, jumper it as such and try it out. In theory, it
    shouldn't make any difference how the drive is jumpered when it's used as a
    USB drive, but at least two users previously informed me that when they had
    a non-recognition problem similar to yours with a WD drive in a USB
    enclosure, the problem was resolved when they jumpered the drive as Single.
    So give it a try and let us know whether it does resolve the problem.
    Anna

    "Single" is called master/alone jumper configuration for WD HDs. Removing
    all the jumpers will do the same thing.

    The master should be at the end of the ide cable. This should not be a
    problem with an enclosure as there is not an alternate ribbon cable
    connection.

    Many ide external enclosures will not accept slave setting for HDs.

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

    > Response by ?...
    > >> If the drive is working and it is a true derivative of an
    > >> internal hard drive, then it should work OK as a slave. It
    > >> is worth a try but there is a chance of incompatibilities
    > >> due to the hardware bios that is being used to ID and treat
    > >> the external HD as such.
    > >>
    > >> In the meantime, verified that the external HD works with
    > >> an on-board USB port versus powered USB hub versus one that
    > >> is unpowered?
    >

    > "smay28" <smay28@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It's onboard alright.. I don't do hubs.. I have 4 built in and an
    > > additional
    > > 4 in the form of a PCI card.. All work flawlessly with other doo-dads..
    > > None
    > > of course requiring this kind of power. The enclosure has it's own power
    > > adapter and such.
    > > BTW.. the drive is a WD... WD2000JB to be exact.. Caviar series if I'm
    > > not
    > > mistaken.
    > >
    > > I'll let you know what happens..
    > >
    > > Thanks again
    >

    > smay28 (or Ghostrider):
    > Is the drive jumpered as Single while it's installed in your USB external
    > enclosure? If it's not, jumper it as such and try it out. In theory, it
    > shouldn't make any difference how the drive is jumpered when it's used as
    > USB drive, but at least two users previously informed me that when they
    had
    > a non-recognition problem similar to yours with a WD drive in a USB
    > enclosure, the problem was resolved when they jumpered the drive as
    Single.
    > So give it a try and let us know whether it does resolve the problem.
    > Anna

    Anna, Lil'D,
    Thanks for all the info!!! I'll be messing around with it over the weekend..

    > "Single" is called master/alone jumper configuration for WD HDs. Removing
    > all the jumpers will do the same thing.
    >
    > The master should be at the end of the ide cable. This should not be a
    > problem with an enclosure as there is not an alternate ribbon cable
    > connection.
    >
    > Many ide external enclosures will not accept slave setting for HDs.

    Lil' Dave is correct in that the jumperless configuration for the Western
    Digital drive configures it as a Single device; however, even being
    "jumperless" is considered a "jumper setting". The vagaries of
    "computerese"...
    Anna

    All better gang..
    Pulled it from the enclosure..
    Jumpered it as a slave in a dual drive configuration.
    Booted first time, recognized the drive and at full capacity.
    All data intact...

    Thanks to all for your suggestions and taking the time to post on this issue.

    "Anna" wrote:

    > > does
    > > time

    > >> Response by ?...

    > >> "smay28" <smay28@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
    > >> smay28 (or Ghostrider):
    > >> Is the drive jumpered as Single while it's installed in your USB external
    > >> enclosure? If it's not, jumper it as such and try it out. In theory, it
    > >> shouldn't make any difference how the drive is jumpered when it's used as
    > >> USB drive, but at least two users previously informed me that when they
    > > had
    > >> a non-recognition problem similar to yours with a WD drive in a USB
    > >> enclosure, the problem was resolved when they jumpered the drive as
    > > Single.
    > >> So give it a try and let us know whether it does resolve the problem.
    > >> Anna
    >

    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    > > "Single" is called master/alone jumper configuration for WD HDs. Removing
    > > all the jumpers will do the same thing.
    > >
    > > The master should be at the end of the ide cable. This should not be a
    > > problem with an enclosure as there is not an alternate ribbon cable
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > Many ide external enclosures will not accept slave setting for HDs.
    >

    > Lil' Dave is correct in that the jumperless configuration for the Western
    > Digital drive configures it as a Single device; however, even being
    > "jumperless" is considered a "jumper setting". The vagaries of
    > "computerese"...
    > Anna

    That worked for me too! Thanks to all :-)

External Drive Windows XP