NEC 3520 - only virtual device image recorder??

Trinity6

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
Hi,

Can't burn to CD-ROM on NEC ND-3520A, and no such device listed.

Nero 5.5.6.1
Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
DVD-ROM drive: Lite-On SOHD-167T, jumper on Slave
(CD-rom works, does not play normal music CD)
DVD R/RW & CD-R/RW drive: NEC ND-3520A, jumper on Master

Currently using one IDE ribbon cable on the primary IDE connector of the mobo, with the DVD-writer (Master) on the middle connector of the ribbon cable and the DVD-ROM (Slave) on the end connector of the cable. Is this the correct setup?
I want both to function independently with the ability to copy from one drive to the other. Totally unclear as to how to set this up ... ??

Writer does not burn with this set-up though: only thing I can find is a Virtual Device Image Recorder. And this functions properly: nice image saved to hard disc. But NEC ND-3520A writer is nowhere to be found as a device ...

Btw: Any suggestions for good freeware DVD-playback software?

Cheers!

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Have you looked in the device manager to see if everything is ok there (no errors)? Does the drive read CD/DVD's at all? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for it?

The drive that won't play music CD's I'm guessing doesn't have an audio cable connected to your motherboard

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
No cable needed if digital audio is enabled.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Usually the Master device is on the end of the cable and the Slave in the middle. I've heard that if things are jumpered correctly it doesn't matter, but I can't speak to that from experience because I always put the Master at the end.

You might try switching them and see what happens.

....WW (5.0)