How do I change a network share password in XP Pro using workgroups? I'm
trying to access my XP Pro PC from a Windows 98 PC and I am being asked for
a password. As far as I can remember I never setup a password on the XP Pro
system.

Thanks.

W Weldin

Create an account on the XP computer using the same username and password
used to log onto the Win 98 machine. Use explorer on the XP machine to grant
this user permission to use the shared folder.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

Willis Weldin wrote:
> How do I change a network share password in XP Pro using workgroups? I'm
> trying to access my XP Pro PC from a Windows 98 PC and I am being asked for
> a password. As far as I can remember I never setup a password on the XP Pro
> system.

Then, that would probably be the problem.

On the WinXP computer, create local user account(s), with non-blank
password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or later, make sure
that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Try this - suggested by EZLAN.

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, Security
Options, Accounts:'Limit local account use of blank passwords to console
login only' - disable this.

David Kelsey

"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
> Create an account on the XP computer using the same username and password
> used to log onto the Win 98 machine. Use explorer on the XP machine to
> grant this user permission to use the shared folder.
>
> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "Willis Weldin" <wweldin@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> How do I change a network share password in XP Pro using workgroups? I'm
>> trying to access my XP Pro PC from a Windows 98 PC and I am being asked
>> for a password. As far as I can remember I never setup a password on the
>> XP Pro system.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> W Weldin

I am totally fed up with passwords and logins and memorable words and
favourite dates and all the other James Bond palava that people have dreamed
up to make my life difficult - like I have over 85 logins for websites, some
with as many as four items to enter before I can buy something. I certainly
don't want a password to enter my own computer in my own home unless I
specifically set one, which I never do. So I don't want to be forced into a
situation where XP Pro tries to make me set a password in order to see the
shares on one or other of my two networked computers. That means I adopt
the strategy of disabling the security policy item which requires it, pretty
much as a matter of principle. I didn't set a password when I installed XP
Pro, and I will not be coerced into setting one retrospectively.

David Kelsey