W2K slow loading after installing new HD

peterjedi

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I posted to W2K forum, but got no response, so I will try posting in the HD forum.

I just installed a new HD. WD120JB special addition. My old HD was WD120BB. With my old HD it would load the W2k white bars at the bottom of the screen much faster. The new HD seems to pause 3-4 times during the loading of the W2k white bar at the bottom of the screen. Does anyone know what causes this behavioral change?

Could it be the motherboard drivers? I think I have loaded all the drivers?

I keep my old HD on the same controller as a slave drive. Could two boot sectors cause a little confusion during the W2K loading process, because I didn't reformat the slave drive. Even when I only had the new HD, the W2K would still load slowly for the while bars at the bottom of the screen.

Just courious as to why the change in behavior.

Regards,

Peter

Try removing the old HDD and see what happens to the performance, it probably kept the boot record on the old drive and just installed the OP/SYS to the new HDD, that could have happened if the old HDD was still hooked up when you did your install, if you remove the old HDD and your system won't boot, then thats definitely the problem.